The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 9:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
change the position of Rc&Cc for the miller effect (Read 1384 times)
henrytqy

change the position of Rc&Cc for the miller effect
Nov 09th, 2011, 5:31pm

[img][/img]

If I change the position of the Rc & Cc, how can we explain the miller effect.

Does it have other effect on the whole circuit?

Thanks~

RCchange.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Re: change the position of Rc&Cc for the miller effect
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2011, 8:58pm

Henry,
Miller effect doesn't change if u interchange the Rc & Cc positions. The circuit functionality remains same.

View Profile   IP Logged
henrytqy

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011, 11:08pm

rajkumar palwai wrote on Nov 9th, 2011, 8:58pm:
Henry,
Miller effect doesn't change if u interchange the Rc & Cc positions. The circuit functionality remains same.

Yes, I think so.
In integrated amplifiers if Rc is implemented with a mos transistor,in most cases it is usually place first to better control the resistance of the transistor. Do you know that why "better control"?

Thanks~

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2011, 1:19am

In the amplifer, we keep the Rc to cancel the zero caused by the gm2&Cc. So ideally Rc should track gm2 across process corners.

Now gm2 =K(Vgs2-Vth2). And we implement the Rc with a PMOS in linear region whose gds=k(Vgs-vth2). So if u connect the Rc and Cc in the order as shown in the figure, then the same node goes to the gate of M2 and source of Rc and hence u can control the Rc bias accurately.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2011, 1:22am

hello,
There is no much diference...
may be first stage has lesser swing becaz of gm2, so if you use an mos as resister then Vgs may not change. and moreover control for the resister will come from replica bias, so to track better not to have any swing.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2011, 8:15am

henrytqy wrote on Nov 9th, 2011, 11:08pm:
Yes, I think so.
In integrated amplifiers if Rc is implemented with a mos transistor,in most cases it is usually place first to better control the resistance of the transistor. Do you know that why "better control"?

Thanks~

Yes, you think correct for a mos resistor. In that case, you want the mos resistor on the left. The resistance is controlled better there because the voltage at the "-" node of the gm2 stage varies only a small amount, thus the gate-source voltage of the mos resistor is relatively independent of the output voltage. On the other hand, the output of gm2 can swing rail-to-rail.  If you want the mos resistor on the right side of the cap you need to make it a tgate. For example, if you just use an NMOS it will turn off when the output is low leaving you with no compensation.

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2011, 7:59am

I would leave the positions as drawn Smiley. If Cmiller is big, than also maybe its bottom-plate cap, so have this at the driven side - i.e. at the op-amp output!

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2011, 11:15am

weber8722 wrote on Nov 17th, 2011, 7:59am:
I would leave the positions as drawn Smiley. If Cmiller is big, than also maybe its bottom-plate cap, so have this at the driven side - i.e. at the op-amp output!

Good point about the bottom-plate parasitic

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.