The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Limiting amplifier (Read 2572 times)
henrytqy

Limiting amplifier
Nov 13th, 2011, 6:00am

Hi dear all,

Recently I read some papers about limiting amplifer, but I'am not fully understand it. In RF design we often heard about PA,mixer,LNA. Why do we seldom heard of LA?

Can someone explain what's the limiting amplifier used for in the RF circuit? In what situation that we need it?

Thanks lot~~

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Limiting amplifier
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2011, 6:21am

hello,
there is no speciality about limiting amplifier(LA)..it's normal amplifier (with out any gain control to prevent saturation fro large signals) which is generally operate in small signal input regime. In general you will find LA in the baseband to amplify the week signal. There is another amplifer called AGC which is also LA with soma gain control mechanism to avoid saturation by redusing the gain in the presence of large signal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2011, 5:11pm

Hi,

limiting amplifiers can be used in baseband as raja.cedt pointed out. They are useful for constant envelope modulated signals in that they can amplify your signal up to a specified amplitude like in an AGC, but much faster since there is no loop. So in other words they are immune to sudden changes in the signal amplitude.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2011, 10:03am

Limiting amplifiers - two classes of these that I know of -

Amplifiers that are design to reduce gain as input signals get larger coming in. (as mentioned here)

Amplifiers with a fixed gain, used in cascade within a log-amp structure.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.