The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 7th, 2024, 7:20am
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models (Read 8697 times)
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models
Reply #15 - Dec 02nd, 2011, 7:08am

Garrett.Neaves wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 6:48am:
I would not refer to this ideal opamp with positive feedback circuit as an amplifier because it is only functioning as an amplifier because it is excessively idealized.

I agree. I would also consider an opamp model that is stable with positive feedback only as excessively idealized.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 7:48am

Garrett.Neaves wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 6:48am:
This example is useful in understanding the question in your initial posting.
I would not refer to this ideal opamp with positive feedback circuit as an amplifier because it is only functioning as an amplifier because it is excessively idealized.

Thanks for replying and - yes - of course I agree (more or less).
On the other hand, the degree of simplification is the same for interchanged input nodes leading to the classical circuit configuration, which is widely used.
Thus, the "excessive idealization" alone cannot be used as an argument.
Rather, I think it is the knowledge we have (contrary to the computer resp. the simulation engine) about the conditions for a stable dc operating point.
Are there other (additional) aspects?  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:11am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 7:48am:
On the other hand, the degree of simplification is the same for interchanged input nodes leading to the classical circuit configuration, which is widely used.
However, this simplification is only allowed if overall feedback is negative.

[Added:] Quote:
Rather, I think it is the knowledge we have (contrary to the computer resp. the simulation engine) about the conditions for a stable dc operating point.
IMO it is because we use the model also it is no longer valid.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:19am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 7:48am:
... the degree of simplification is the same for interchanged input nodes leading to the classical circuit configuration, which is widely used.

I think we are seeing the same thing from slightly different points of view.  From my point of view, when a model becomes idealized to the point that it gives fundamentally contrary behavior then I would say that this is a sufficient condition for describing it as "excessively idealized".  

The configuration of an ideal opamp with resistive divider negative feedback does not give fundamentally contrary behavior and therefore is not necessarily " excessively simplified.  In fact, it is often a very useful model.  

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:19am

Garrett.Neaves wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 8:19am:
I think we are seeing the same thing from slightly different points of view.  From my point of view, when a model becomes idealized to the point that it gives fundamentally contrary behavior then I would say that this is a sufficient condition for describing it as "excessively idealized".  

The configuration of an ideal opamp with resistive divider negative feedback does not give fundamentally contrary behavior and therefore is not necessarily " excessively simplified.  In fact, it is often a very useful model.  

This sounds reasonable - but the problem is: How to know in advance (and for unknown circuits) if the simplification is "excessive" (means: not allowed and not applicable) or not?
But thanks to this discussion we are approaching now the core of the question in my first posting.

B O E: I agree, because your condition "dc negative feedback" is identical to my condition regarding a stable dc operating point.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:16am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:19am:
but the problem is: How to know in advance (and for unknown circuits) if the simplification is "excessive" (means: not allowed and not applicable) or not?

I like the kind of thinking represented by this question.

I think that there is no general way to know in advance.  

In specific cases, we can see a warning as soon as we see that the ideal modelling result is contrary to what we think we know about physical circuits.  Then, we can do some investigation by, for example, replacing the ideal models of the most complicated components by ones known to reasonably model physical components. Such as replace, the ideal op amp with a known physically representative model.

In general, we need to always ask if our modelling results are reasonable by testing them against something.

Of course, you already do that.  I am just saying that I think that what you are already doing is the right thing to do as far as I know.  I do not know of any general way to know in advance.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:59am

If you are familiar with the quirks of simulators, you can set up a large number of cases that show simulation tools failing to produce a proper result.

Take 3 logic inverters and put them in a ring - should oscillate right? Well, no it won't due to a lack of noise in the model.

Simulation tools are not a substitute for enough knowledge to understand what the expected behavior is.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:24pm

loose-electron wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:59am:
If you are familiar with the quirks of simulators, you can set up a large number of cases that show simulation tools failing to produce a proper result.

Take 3 logic inverters and put them in a ring - should oscillate right? Well, no it won't due to a lack of noise in the model.

But you shouldn't blame the simulator in this case. The same applies to each linear oscillator that is simulated without any "kick-off", that in reality is provided by the switch-on action. The user must know that such an "artificial" help to start is required.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:34pm

Garrett.Neaves wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:16am:
I do not know of any general way to know in advance.

Hi garrett,
in response to your last reply I accidently have found a paper from an author (Czech Republic) describing a simple simulation procedure to check if the dc operatimng point of a circuit with feedback will be stable or not. It is based on the following criterion:
DC operating point is stable if the circuit is consumer for arbitrary fluctuation to be inserted. .

I'll try to evaluate and justify this sentence.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 2:05pm

hello buddypoor,
could you please send those moving poles paper titles or papers  and this recent simulation procedure paper to my gmail raja.cedt@gmail.com   ?

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #25 - Dec 3rd, 2011, 7:24pm

I don't blame the simulator, I blame the model that thjehe simulator is running.

You do not "kick" your circuit in silicon. What you are doing is a "work around" of a deficiency in the model.

You can get an oscillator to self start, but there must be the suitable model of noise in the simulation.

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2011, 7:29pm

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:24pm:
that in reality is provided by the switch-on action

How about enough gain & phase in a loop to sustain-build an oscillation based upon noise or other non-ideal effects?

Jerry Twomey
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #27 - Dec 4th, 2011, 2:06am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011, 7:29pm:
How about enough gain & phase in a loop to sustain-build an oscillation based upon noise or other non-ideal effects?

Loose-electron, excuse but (due to my limited knowledge of your language) I don't get the contents of this sentence. Do you mean that there can be other "starting aids" than the the power switch-on? (That's clear to me, of course)

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #28 - Dec 4th, 2011, 12:27pm

"Loose-electron, excuse but (due to my limited knowledge of your language) I don't get the contents of this sentence. Do you mean that there can be other "starting aids" than the the power switch-on? (That's clear to me, of course)"

German? Sorry, I speak some French and Spanish, but not german.

Let me explain with simple language.

1. A tranient simulation does not show the effects of noise or mismatch unless you put a transient noise model into the simulation, or put a set of mismatches into the simulation.

2. Both noise and mismatch are often not included in a transient simulation.

3. Noise and mismatch models can be inserted into a transient simulation if needed.

4. An oscillator, in silicon, not in simulation, starts to oscillate due to sufficient gain and phase parameters in the electronic circuit.

5. The electronic circuit also has noise and/or offsets being amplified in the circuit.

6. A "switch on" is not the only thing that will start a device to oscillate.

7. Sufficient loop gain, will take anything (noise, offsets, injected glitches due to a switch flip) and cause a repetitive amplification of that which builds in amplitude as an oscillation.

Hopefully a bit clearer.

Jerry Twomey
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2011, 12:17am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 4th, 2011, 12:27pm:
6. A "switch on" is not the only thing that will start a device to oscillate.
7. Sufficient loop gain, will take anything (noise, offsets, injected glitches due to a switch flip) and cause a repetitive amplification of that which builds in amplitude as an oscillation.

Loose-electron,
thanks for the very detailed information.
However, as already indicated in my question: I am aware that the switch-on effect is not the only cause to start oscillations. But I think the switch-on is the most important and the most reliable "kick", is it not?
And - coming back to the original core of discussion - I still think that in case of simulation problems (false or unexpected results) the user will be the only cause and not the simulation program.
I think the circuit as mentioned in one of my former postings (opamp with positive resistive feedback) can serve as a good example:
The simulation results are correct by 100% - based on the assumptions and conditions that exist during the simulation. Problems can arise only if the user transfer the results to real-world conditions (noise, stable supply, no switch-on,...).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.