The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 7th, 2024, 5:17am
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models (Read 8668 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models
Nov 29th, 2011, 6:19am

Hello, I have a question to all who are involved in electronic circuits.

However, the question is not techical but more or less linguistic and concerns the general speech comprehension.

Problem description: There are some configurations (I avoid the term „electronic circuits“) that exhibit oscillatory properties during transient simulations (in fact: they show self-sustained sinusoidal oscillations). However, only if IDEAL opamps are used. Therefore, only simulations can reveal threse properties.

As soon as real opamp models are used (at least one pole in the open-loop frequency response) there are no oscillations.
Instead, the amplifier output saturates immediately, because the mentioned amplifier pole is shifted to the right half of the s- plane (RHP).

The problem touches the validity of the well-known oscillation condition (Barkhausen) - and the question is simply:

Based on the general speech comprehension - should such a special configuration be called „circuit that is able to oscillate"? Even, if this is the case for ideal (artificial) models only?

Thank you
buddypoor (LvW)

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2011, 7:23am by buddypoor »  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2011, 3:50pm

Could you better explain or illustrate the question?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2011, 1:39am

loose-electron wrote on Nov 29th, 2011, 3:50pm:
Could you better explain or illustrate the question?

I am afraid that I have expressed myself not clear enough.
Therefore, I will reformulate my question:

1.) Assume that  there is an electronic circuit (hardware) that is not able to oscillate - in spite of unity loop gain  at one frequency f=fo only. This is neither a surprise nor a failure of Barkhausen’s criterion because this rule is only a necessary one.  
2.) Surprisingly, if this circuit is transferred to a simulation program and if an ideal opamp model (gain not frequency dependent) is used, the output shows a sinusoidal signal having a frequency fo. (By the way, I can explain this fact - but that is not my question).

Now the question:
How should I describe the property of that specific combination of passive and active parts with respect to the oscillation condition?

Is that circuit an oscillator in accordance with Barkhausen’s criterion: Yes or no?

Thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2011, 11:10am

If I understand the question correctly:

Oscillation is conditional on two things:

Additive gain of a loop.
Phase/frequency characteristics of that loop.

You can do a behavioral model defined in those terms.

Does that get you an answer?

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2011, 11:14am

You may want to look at this:
http://web.mit.edu/klund/www/weblatex/node4.html

To me, this all goes back to control systems and Blacks Law.

Jerry Twomey
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2011, 1:31am

The question is not very clear to me either, but I'll try to write something related to it.

If you talk about Barkhausen' criterion, it implies you're talking about harmonic oscillators. Not first order oscillators.

In 'steady state' condition, its poles don't move a lot, but in startup it does. This nonlinear behavior provides the startup. If you have ideal elements, which do not give any nonlinearity, they might have a problem oscillating, or startup vice verse. Please note that by 'movement of poles' I am not talking about (phase) noise, but deterministic movement of the poles.

The moving poles 'stuff' becomes even more clear when you talk about first order oscillators, where the poles exhibit a walk down the root locus in time. They stick on the real axes for the linear part, and only when the oscillator switches the poles move toward the imaginary axis, and at that point go up/down (becoming complex).

I suggest using phase planes (nonlinear dynamics theory), theory on moving poles, etc,  to get deeper understanding of the problems you see.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2011, 3:15am

loose-electron wrote on Nov 30th, 2011, 11:14am:
You may want to look at this:
http://web.mit.edu/klund/www/weblatex/node4.html
To me, this all goes back to control systems and Blacks Law.

Loose-electron, thank you for this link to a "funny" contribution from K.H. Lundberg (2002). I know this text since several years - and I also have given to Lundberg some comments and corrections.
But as it seems he sees no necessity to modify his conclusions like the first and the last sentence:
"The  Barkhausen Stability Criterion is simple, intuitive, and wrong."
"Down with Barkhausen"
Even the headline is wrong: Barkhausen never has formulated a "stability criterion".
Perhaps he likes such provocative formulations - even when the are wrong.
To me he has (a) never read the original text from Barkhausen and (b) never heard about the difference between "necessary" and "sufficient".
None of these terms is even mentioned in his article.
In the mean time (within the last 3...4 years) a discussion took place in the magazine "Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing" dealing with the validity of Barkhausen's condition (based on some so called "counter examples" introduced by V. Singh). For my opinion, there is a wide agreement that Barkhausen has formulated a necessary condition only (I can confirm this as I have his book on my desk).
Besides this, of course Black's formula is the basis for all calculations of feedback systems. And - as I have mentioned - I have no problems to explain the differences between the behaviour of both alternatives (ideal vs. real opamp model). My only concern is: Does it make sense to investigate per simulation a "circuit" based on an ideal opamp that never can be build - and that behaves completely different if real amplifiers are used?
Thank you    

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2011, 3:20am

Lex wrote on Dec 1st, 2011, 1:31am:

I suggest using phase planes (nonlinear dynamics theory), theory on moving poles, etc,  to get deeper understanding of the problems you see.

Hi Alexander, thanks for replying.
However, as mentioned in my reply above you see that I have no technical problem. I can explain and verify the behaviour of both alternatives (including pole movements).
Nevertheless, thank you again.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2011, 11:02am

hello,
@ alexder: can  you please tell me where to study about moving poles (i donno any thing about moving poles)

@ buddypoor: hello buddypoor, you have written "Surprisingly, if this circuit is transferred to a simulation program and if an ideal opamp model (gain not frequency dependent) is used, the output shows a sinusoidal signal having a frequency fo", is really worked, i guess you have to add some passive ckt which makes gain drops at least and infact with gain dependent amplier also works because after all you are having some gain drop in the opamp so you will reduce the phase shift required by the passive network. Correct me if i am wrong.

do you have the book which decribes counter examples? please tell me the exact title so that i can read.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2011, 11:52am

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 1st, 2011, 11:02am:
i guess you have to add some passive ckt which makes gain drops at least and infact with gain dependent amplier also works because after all you are having some gain drop in the opamp so you will reduce the phase shift required by the passive network. Correct me if i am wrong.

do you have the book which decribes counter examples? please tell me the exact title so that i can read.
Thanks,
Raj.

What do you mean with "you have to add...".
In contrary, I do not want to add some circuitry to let the gain drop because I want to demonstrate the influence of an ideal opamp model.
Of course, as I have mentioned already, the real model behaves differently.

Regarding "counter-examples" I only can give you a reference to some magazine articles. Have you access to "Analog integrated circuits and signal processing" ?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2011, 11:53am

Hello buddypoor,
what i mean to say is when you have ideal opamp without any frequency dependent gain, there should be some netwrok in the loop which reduces the loopgain to 1 at some frequency.

regarding articles, please send me if you can otherwise please tell me the name so that i can find some otherway to download.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2011, 2:13pm

buddypoor wrote on Dec 1st, 2011, 3:15am:
My only concern is: Does it make sense to investigate per simulation a "circuit" based on an ideal opamp that never can be build - and that behaves completely different if real amplifiers are used?
Thank you    

Completely different? Yes and No.

Use of ideal models are a simplified method to gain a better understanding of something.

We all use those all the time.

Also, an ideal op-amp can be dropped into the middle of something, and then add gain limitations, and explicit phase-gain properties outside the ideal amplifier.

That lumped model allows investigation into the separate parameters of the model.

i.e. adjust gain, phase characteristics without a need to redesign an entire device down at the transistor level.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve? Understanding the characteristics of something or building a circuit to plug in and turn on?

We all do both in this
business/profession/area of study/obsession
(pick one)  :D
to varying degrees.

Jerry Twomey
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 1:33am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 1st, 2011, 2:13pm:
Completely different? Yes and No.
Use of ideal models are a simplified method to gain a better understanding of something.
We all use those all the time.
Also, an ideal op-amp can be dropped into the middle of something, and then add gain limitations, and explicit phase-gain properties outside the ideal amplifier.
That lumped model allows investigation into the separate parameters of the model.
i.e. adjust gain, phase characteristics without a need to redesign an entire device down at the transistor level.
Depends on what you are trying to achieve? Understanding the characteristics of something or building a circuit to plug in and turn on?

Hi Loose-electron.
In principle, I agree with all of the above.
But I think my description of a specific case (my first posting opening this thread) can serve as an example that your explantions/justifications of idealized models do not always apply.
As I have reported, there are circuits that show a behaviour that is strongly dependent on the amplifier model used for simulation (ideal or real). It is obvious that this cannot lead to a "better understanding" of the circuit and it's function.
On the other hand, if one is able to understand the reason for the observed phenomena, this certainly will enlarge the knowledge of system theory and related areas.    
Perhaps it's useful to give you a very simple example:
Try to simulate an IDEAL opamp with positive resistive feedback (10k/1k).
Of course, such a circuit will not work as an amplifier. However, all simulations (OP, AC, DC, TRAN) will result in a stable inverting amplifier with a gain of 20 dB. Does this lead to a better understanding of amplifiers?
And it is a fact, that the simulator did not make any error at all. The result is correct!

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 2:04am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 1:33am:
Of course, such a circuit will not work as an amplifier. However, all simulations (OP, AC, DC, TRAN) will result in a stable inverting amplifier with a gain of 20 dB. Does this lead to a better understanding of amplifiers?
And it is a fact, that the simulator did not make any error at all. The result is correct!

Interesting example. And the result is correct because an IDEAL opamp model contains a control loop....

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2011, 6:48am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011, 1:33am:

This example is useful in understanding the question in your initial posting.

I would not refer to this ideal opamp with positive feedback circuit as an amplifier because it is only functioning as an amplifier because it is excessively idealized.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.