The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 6th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS transistors bulk connection (Read 1599 times)
Pashtet

Belarus
MOS transistors bulk connection
Dec 03rd, 2011, 1:45pm

Dear friends,
as we know in order to eliminate dependence of threshold voltage on source-bulk potential and thus reduce gata-source voltage of MOS transistors, we can connect source and bulk terminals together. So we need less voltage headroom in comparing with the case when all NMOS bulk terminals are on GND and PMOS ones - on VDD.
I wondering if there are any limitations or negative consequences of doing that? May be there are some applications where it important to keep bulk potentials on supply rails as i wrote above ?
Thanks in advance.

View Profile pashtet874   IP Logged
sriram

Re: MOS transistors bulk connection
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2011, 5:14pm

Hey,
I think the only problem in not doing this connection is that your substrate now is not connected to ground and is carrying some signal(maybe whatever based on your circuit). This may cause unwanted coupling to other parts of the circuit. This might not show up in simulations, but its definitely a problem while measurement.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2011, 7:19pm

when you do that you are now in a situation where you are driving the capacitance of the well to substrate region.

that capacitance can be very significant and is not in most transistor models, leading to simulation errors.

you need to define the area of your well, that the FET is in, and then approximate that capacitance in your model

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pashtet

Belarus
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2011, 1:46am

Thanks for your sharing.
Both reasons you have mentioned are serios and difficult to simulate. So your general advice is to avoid doing that.

View Profile pashtet874   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2011, 8:26am

Pashtet wrote on Dec 4th, 2011, 1:46am:
Thanks for your sharing.
Both reasons you have mentioned are serios and difficult to simulate. So your general advice is to avoid doing that.

I'm not sure what sriram was talking about, but I agree with Loose Electron. However, I'm sure he'd agree that the extra capacitance isn't a "serious" enough reason to generally avoid doing it - you just need to make sure you model it and weigh the costs against the advantages because the extra capacitance may (not always) cause more issues than is solved.

Another more practical issue in my experience has been the extra area required. The device needs to be in its own well and the well-to-well spacing is relatively large. This can wind up wasting a lot of space so you have to weigh that (and the capacitance) against the performance improvement.

rg

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2011, 10:35am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2011, 12:04pm

I agree with Rob, the area taken up by the isolated well is generally not worth the effort.

As a general rule, if I do not need the slightly better threshold characteristics (virtually never), I leave the N-well tied to the positive power rail and have the PMOS devices share a common N-well.

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2011, 12:08pm

RobG wrote on Dec 4th, 2011, 8:26am:
However, I'm sure he'd agree that the extra capacitance isn't a "serious" enough reason to generally avoid doing it - you just need to make sure you model it and weigh the costs against the advantages because the extra capacitance may (not always) cause more issues than is solved.
rg

Its tough to generalize this one, you need to define the well geometry, determine the capacitance of walls and bottom, and then put it into your model.

Driving that well capacitiance can be significant. Some work I did on an RF PA showed some very extreme differences w/wo the capacitiance. At the end of the day, I talked them into tied well to +V and the big I=Cdv/dt currents got eliminated.

Jerry Twomey
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2011, 2:20pm

If you connect a body to a source you should keep an eye on the drain-well diode because you don't want the diode starts to conduct current. This is especially true if you have shutdown mechanism in a circuit.
I would say that in 99% of circuits we connect body to the rail. You need to have a strong reason to connect body to the source. As an example, a differential pair with high PSRR.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2011, 6:29pm

Another example in which it results convenient to connect body to source is in stacked diode connected devices: sometimes the overall voltage drop might be higher than body-drain breakdown and thus having bulk connected to source in each device puts drain-bulk diodes in series, thus larger breakdown characteristics.

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.