The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 6th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A basic question about comparator (Read 6357 times)
lunren
Community Member

Asia
A basic question about comparator
Dec 04th, 2011, 3:28pm

Hi,

I recently saw several cases in which a miller compensated amp is used as comparator. I think there are some difference in terms of PSR, noise and speed between with and without miller compensation cap. But I don's think in these applications, noise, PSR is critical (supply monitor). Then in my opinion, the miller compensated amp is just making the circuit to response slowly, but this doesn't seem a advantage. I am wondering what's the advantage to use miller compensated amp as a comparator?

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Re: A basic question about comparator
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2011, 3:44pm

I guess miller compensation cap makes the circuit more stable, meaning the output of the comparator won't switch unless the difference between the inputs of comparator is big (in magnitude) and long (in time) enough.
More comments are welcome.

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2011, 5:38am

I think the reason is that when you place in a negative feedback loop, it doesn't oscillate. So in that way you can calibrate your comparator.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2011, 6:55am

lunren wrote on Dec 4th, 2011, 3:28pm:
Hi,

I recently saw several cases in which a miller compensated amp is used as comparator. I think there are some difference in terms of PSR, noise and speed between with and without miller compensation cap. But I don's think in these applications, noise, PSR is critical (supply monitor). Then in my opinion, the miller compensated amp is just making the circuit to response slowly, but this doesn't seem a advantage. I am wondering what's the advantage to use miller compensated amp as a comparator?

Lunren, I agree cause you are right.
You can use a frequency-compensated opamp as comparator - however, the compensation lowers the slew rate and, thus, the response time.
For stability reasons (tendency to oscillation) it is NOT necessary to use such a compensation scheme since there is no operational point within the linear part of the transfer characteristic.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2011, 7:19am

hello lunren,
up to my knowledge there is no need to use miller compensated op amp as first stage to comparator, because you are not going to keep comparator in a -ve feedback loop. have you seen any body did like this, if so please give me the reference?

as people explained in the earlier posts,  Some times during offset cancellation comparator being kept in loop but it will be very very slow loop.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2011, 9:37am

A comparator requires no gain-phase compensation for phase margin stability.

It is not used in a feedback loop system.

A device designed as an op-amp, with compensation can be used as a comparator.

The compensation will slow down the response  of the comparator.

A comparator put into a switched mode structure used for offset cancellation is generally not a linear feedback system. Rather, it is determining the amplifier offset characteristice for a fixed input (zero) and forcing that offset voltage to do something (cancel the offset) but that is not done in a feedback loop generally. One node (or differential pair input) is forced and held at a voltage.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2011, 1:52pm

hello looselectron,

i didn't understand your comment "offset cancellation is generally not a linear feedback system", let us say you want to implement input off storage then comparator will be connected in unity gain configuration.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2011, 2:58pm

Its a swiitched capacitor structure where the two capacitively coupled input are tied together, and the feedback brings the capacitance to the equivalent offset voltage.

Thats not a linear function is it?

Jerry Twomey
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2011, 6:21pm

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 5th, 2011, 7:19am:
hello lunren,
up to my knowledge there is no need to use miller compensated op amp as first stage to comparator, because you are not going to keep comparator in a -ve feedback loop. have you seen any body did like this, if so please give me the reference?

as people explained in the earlier posts,  Some times during offset cancellation comparator being kept in loop but it will be very very slow loop.

Thanks,
Raj.

Sorry I don't have a reference, but I do see a lot comparators used in real time clock circuit have comparator (to detect supply drop) with miller compensation. I guess with miller compensation, if the drop below certain threshold level is small and short (like a glitch), it doesn't make sense to generate a power drop signal. Unless the drop is big, especially last long time, then it should generate power drop signal.

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2011, 2:22am

then you are intentionally slowing the response to essentially LPF what you are monitoring.

Jerry Twomey
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2011, 10:49am

Yes, I think that's the reason here.

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2011, 5:32pm

Agree with Jerry, specially for small input signa slopes, the comparator might tend to chat since the decision circuit has no hysteresis, therefore LPF is required to avoid potential chattering under these conditions, and this is provided by the Miller compensation.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.