The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 6th, 2024, 9:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about temperature coefficient of bandgap (Read 1179 times)
lhlbluesky_lhl

about temperature coefficient of bandgap
Dec 05th, 2011, 4:07am

i have designed a bandgap in 0.18um 0.33V process, which is the classic structure (an opamp, two bjt of 1:8, a pmos pair, and a resistor), VREF=VEB+VT*ln8/R1*R2, but the tc is 45ppm for the simulation. i used some methods to improve the tc, such as exp compensation, different type of resistors (different tc, one is positive, one is negative), and so on, but it only improves a little. in some papers, i see the compensated bandgap can have a tc of 5ppm or below, but how to achive this in actual case? or how to do curvature compensation for bandgap in real project design?

thanks all in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: about temperature coefficient of bandgap
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011, 5:39am

Use trimming.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2011, 9:41am

start putting offsets and mismatches into your simulation. You will see that you will need to trim and adjust the device.

Also, look up the topic "chopper offset cancellation" or "chopper stabilized op-amps" - this is one way to deal with offset issues.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2011, 11:10am

I think he wants to know how to remove the curvature (about 4 mV) from a traditional bandgap response, i.e. he wants a decent curvature correction circuit. There are countless ways that look great in simulation but they have problems over corners and mismatches which are hard to correct with a single temperature trim in silicon. Amazingly, I still see a lot of new patents popping up on this ancient subject!

IMO, the most robust are independent of the bandgap reference itself and are a piecewise linear correction. At room temp they do not change the performance (so the zero temp-co output voltage is still ~1.23 V). However at temps greater than room they add a PTAT voltage, and at temps colder than room they add a CTAT voltage.  

An current mode example is published by Rincon-Mora JSSC, Oct 1998. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=720402

You can adapt the PWL correction to the "normal" bandgap. Just inject the PWL current into the 1x pnp emitter. It might help to see how it was done in one of my patents 6,642,699

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2011, 2:24am

yes he wants a "curvature compensated bandgap" (search IEEE JSSC for those terms) - but the other items in mismatch and offset must be fixed first, because they are much larger than the thermal curvature.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2011, 4:17am

thanks all.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2011, 6:56am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 6th, 2011, 2:24am:
yes he wants a "curvature compensated bandgap" (search IEEE JSSC for those terms) - but the other items in mismatch and offset must be fixed first, because they are much larger than the thermal curvature.

I agree - that is what gets most people. He can search for my CICC paper on that too Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.