The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 7th, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help Identifying the 2 transistors on the +ve feedback path (Read 2127 times)
Larry_80
Community Member

Help Identifying the 2 transistors on the +ve feedback path
Dec 06th, 2011, 10:52am

Hello All,
Please i need some help in identifying the positive feedback path (with explanation) in the attached circuit. I will really appreciate any help....please identify the transistors in the +ve feedback path.
Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Help Identifying the 2 transistors on the +ve feedback path
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2011, 10:57am

hello,
how you are biasing M5,M7? if you are generating through some constant voltage then there is no +ve feedback.

i think you forgot to connect m7 as diode connected, if so m3,m1,m5,m7 forms +ve feedback loop.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2011, 11:03am

one more thing,
M6 provides -ve feedback ..
Thanks,
Raj.

Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011, 11:05am

Sorry, yeah M7 is diode connected and Vb is some constant biasing voltage.

View Profile   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2011, 11:07am

Thanks Raja, i came up with same answer as you did, just wanted to be sure....i'm afraid of screwing up...thanx a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2011, 4:05pm

looks like a wide swing cascode bias circuit?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2011, 5:26pm

Actually thanks to m6 local negative feedback the positive feedback loop is stable, since gain is less than 1

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2011, 4:26am

but i doubt about the amount of degeneration because of it's huge value. any how i would like to ask now a days is any one using gm=1/r ckt for biasing?, because in this lower technology it may not work as we expect in theory due to lack of square law.

Thanks,
raj.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2011, 8:03am

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 4:26am:
but i doubt about the amount of degeneration because of it's huge value. any how i would like to ask now a days is any one using gm=1/r ckt for biasing?, because in this lower technology it may not work as we expect in theory due to lack of square law.

Thanks,
raj.

I feel like I'm part of a conversation where everyone but me can see another poster's responses as I can't figure out what you folks are talking about Wink.

Raj - what sort of bias should they use? If we assume Larry's circuit is a constant gm bias (M5 is a multiple placement of M7) then it should properly bias a PMOS diff pair operating at the average current density of M5 and M7. Under these conditions the gm will remain constant over temp (well it would if a zero-tc resistor was used). I think this will be true from subthreshold to velocity sat, and to different devices such as bipolar.

Regarding the "positive" feedback path, the signal path is counter-clockwise. Assuming M5 is multiple placements of M7, at low currents the path is positive feedback. This is what you want at startup since this keeps increasing the current in the devices until the gain from M7 to M5 is reduced to 1 by the degeneration of M6. At this point the feedback isn't really positive or negative.

rg

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011, 9:03am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
sushan

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2011, 5:46am

Hi RobG,

Isn't at that point, the -ve f/b takes control of the loop, finalizing the current. So can it not be called as -ve f/b at the time, when current stabilizes?  May be we cannot say about the f/b involved, when M5 looses control, say it becomes linear (but this will never happen--i guess).

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2011, 6:52am

Just curious, are -ve and +ve new terms being used in the textbooks? I haven't seen them before.

Analogbeginner, I suppose it can be viewed a few ways depending on your terminology. At "low" currents the loop would be positive feedback because the gain from M7 to M5 is greater than one (if M5 is multiple placements of M7 and the votlage drop across M6 is negligible). At "high" currents the voltage drop across M6 will make the gain less than one. I guess you could call that negative feedback.

The circuit will stabilize at a current where the gain from M7 to M5 is exactly 1. If a gain of more than 1 is positive FB, and if a gain of less than 1 is negative feedback, then what is the gain when it is exactly 1? It is sort of a philosophical question in my mind. Positively negative I guess  ;D

View Profile   IP Logged
sushan

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2011, 6:12pm

RobG, I was thinking that at every current value, there exists +ve & -ve f/b, but whichever is predominant takes control & decides the current--> whether it is going to settle or increase, but I'm not sure, whether the point where the current stabilizes will be at a point were the gain from M7-->M5 will exactly be less than 1. I was thinking it was a relative factor, between the +ve & -ve component, which decides the current.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2011, 7:22am

hello analogbegnir,
may be you can  think in this way to get good idea.

The final bias point will be some where else, so whenever you are at higher bias current degeneration resister reduces the mirroring ratio and hence loop will move towards current reduction direction and if you are at lower than the final bias current, degeneration will increase the mirroring ratio hence loop will get you the final value.

Thanks,
Raj.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.