The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 7th, 2024, 9:21pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
4-quad current multiplier (Read 5610 times)
muffassir

Planet Earth
4-quad current multiplier
Dec 07th, 2011, 3:39am

hi all,

Here is below my attached schematic of the 4-quad multiplier using translinear principle in subthreshold operation.

The above two oval marked are the Iin1=3nA , Iin2=3nA ,Vdd=0.4V , Ibias in the left of fig is Ibias=3nA , Vbias (below the FGMOS transistors) has the value Vbias=0.4V . input capacitors in the FGMOS are 150fF each at the input terminals (gate) of the PMOS .All MOS are of the same size.

I am doing the DC analysis(parametric) of the above circuit. for Iin1=-3nA to 3nA. And Iin2=-3nA to 3nA with 1nA steps. I expect to get the waveform(ignore the values of Iin1 and 2 in this image) as below.

But i am getting constant 3nA for all values of Iin3 .

Please correct my circuit where its going wrong and suggest me the answer.

Thanks .

View Profile WWW muffassir   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: 4-quad current multiplier
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2011, 9:16am

3nA ??? What are the error tolerance settings on your simulator?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2011, 10:04am

Are you sure that sources of all transistors are connected to ground? In this case, you don't have more than 2 transistors in any translinear loop in the circuit...It's not gonna work as a multiplier.

View Profile   IP Logged
muffassir

Planet Earth
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2011, 7:35pm

loose-electron wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 9:16am:
3nA ??? What are the error tolerance settings on your simulator?

Yes sir,, I am using low vdc voltage to bias the transistors in the subthreshold region .so i am using 3nA current..further i am using Cadence virtuoso ADE L simulator using 180nm gpdk library from cadence.

I am newbie to both cadence AND analog design .I request you to give me the answers in detail that where the design is not correct .wht i should change to get the desired multiplier output.

Thnks in advance!!

muffassir

Planet Earth
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011, 8:00pm

Vladislav D wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 10:04am:
Are you sure that sources of all transistors are connected to ground? In this case, you don't have more than 2 transistors in any translinear loop in the circuit...It's not gonna work as a multiplier.

Hi Vladislav Sir,

Thanks for your reply,

Ya i have checked the ckt and all the nmos (middle line of 7 nmos FGMOS transistors)sources are connected to the ground and pmos(upper line of transistors) sources are connected to the vdd.

Upper transistors acts as current mirrors, middle line act as for multiplication and the lower two pmos acts as again current mirrors.

Further middle transistors count from left M1 ,M2 ....M7.

Here M2,M4,M5,M6 are the core elements, and M1,M3, M7 duplicate the currents of M2.M4 M6 respectively forming translinear loop.
IMi is the current tru Mi transistor where i=1 to 7
IM2 = IM1= Ib
IM4 = IM3 = Iin1+Ib
IM5 = (IM4 X IM6)/IM2  = (Iin 1 + Ib)(Iin2 + Ib)/Ib

IM6 = IM7 = Iin2 + Ib

If Iin1,Iin2 , Ib then outputs are

Iout1=IM1 + IM5
Iout2= IM3 +IM7

I hope i clarified my question now..

Hope now u r in better position to correct my ckt where its going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2011, 8:09am

You are trying to operate this circuit with small currents, possibly too small for simulator errors, or the definition of  transistor model as defined by the foundry

Where are you on the bias curves for the transistors?

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2011, 11:56pm

I can't make sense of the circuit. Why do the NMOS devices in the translinear portion have two gates? and are you sure they are hooked up properly?

View Profile   IP Logged
muffassir

Planet Earth
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2011, 1:00am

RobG wrote on Dec 8th, 2011, 11:56pm:
I can't make sense of the circuit. Why do the NMOS devices in the translinear portion have two gates? and are you sure they are hooked up properly?

Sir,

I am using the Floating Gate MOS for two inputs..This is for the use of further designing the neuron wherein there i can manipulate the weights by adjusting the values of input capacitors present at he gate of the floating gate..
& yes i am sure that they are hooked up correctly..Since this is the circuit from one of the IEEE paper which i am going to implement and also i have cross checked after your suggestion with the concepts of FGMOS.

muffassir

Planet Earth
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2011, 1:12am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 8th, 2011, 8:09am:
You are trying to operate this circuit with small currents, possibly too small for simulator errors, or the definition of  transistor model as defined by the foundry

Where are you on the bias curves for the transistors?

Dear Loose-electron Sir/Lady,

In gpdk180 the Vth=0.45V (approx) so,according to you what cuurents i should use..
For subthreshold Vds>4Vth,Vb=0...But i dont have idea about the currents...So please suggest me what currents i should use for my circuit so as to work?

Any if you have any idea about how to know the error tolerance setting of the simulator; you  are welcome.
I am using CADENCE 6.1.4.500 and virtuoso,ADE L/XL. for the spectre simulations.
Thanks a lot ,

Muffassir

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2011, 1:31am

Muffassir - I think the best thing would be for you to show the dc currents of all the transistors for two different input currents. The answer will probably be obvious after you do this. If you repost it here please redraw the schematic so it is easier to understand.

best regards,
Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2011, 9:53am

Jerry or Loos-electrons is fine...

:)

Plot a set of bais curves for your transistors, and show us for the voltages and currents where you are on those bias curves.

See:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran11.gif

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2011, 11:33am

Jerry - I think if it were a tolerance or leakage issue there would still be *some* variation in the curve shown. Instead it is perfectly flat. Obviously none of the input signal is getting to the output side of the circuit. That is, it must be a connection error.

If he'd display the DC operating point showing Ids and Vds for two DC inputs it would be obvious where the problem it, even if it is a modeling/tolerance issue.

The circuit as drawn reminds me of what we used to call spaghetti code in computer programming. If a guy came in with it I'd refuse to debug it. Show the input and the output and add comments describing what the current in each leg should be! Just the act of organizing it usually solved the problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2011, 11:49am

Vladislav D wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 10:04am:

OK, I lied and looked at the spaghetti circuit anyway.

Vladislav is absolutely right in my opinion. All of the NMOS transistor sources are connected to VSS so it is nothing more than a current mirror at best. I say at best because a proper current mirror output should have some dependance on its input, but without a proper definition of what those two gates are who knows what the circuit actually is. (How can you have a connection to a "floating gate anyway?).

A translinear loop needs to have a loop where Vgs1+Vgs2 = Vgs3 + Vgs4, which you do by connecting the source of two devices to the gates of two other devices. Then the gates of the top-most devices are also connected together creating a 4 transistor loop. https://www.google.com/search?q=translinear+circuit&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-...
This circuit has no such loop so it is nothing more than a current mirror.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2011, 11:54am

sorry... double post which I can't seem to delete

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2011, 1:57pm

grrrrrr... you are sweeping I3, but I don't see where I3 is even used in the circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.