The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 3:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Code Dependent kick on Ladder (Read 2350 times)
jefkat
Community Member

Code Dependent kick on Ladder
Dec 14th, 2011, 12:54pm

Hi folks,
         Is there a clever way to minimize the code dependent kick on the ladder. I have a differential signal and I need to quantize it at 5 bit resolution and at 8MHz. I can not spend much current . So any hints, references etc , most welcome..
Thanks
shaf

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Code Dependent kick on Ladder
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2011, 12:56pm

hello,
could be please elaborate more, what do you mean by ladder.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
jefkat
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2011, 11:03pm

Resistive Ladder I meant.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2011, 1:31am

hello,

I understand now, you are talking about flash ADC reference disturbance  because of comparators switching. So better make reference less sensitive to sudden change other make coupling less to reference. Use per-amplifier at the comparator input otherwise use good DE-coupling cap at each tap of the resistive divider (this is called bowing ).

Thanks,
Raj.

jefkat
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2011, 9:24am

Thanks Raja for the comments. Using pre-amplifiers is out of question as I have no current left . Not so sure about using decoupling caps. Decoupling caps will slow the ladder down further.

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 15th, 2011, 1:31am:
hello,

I understand now, you are talking about flash ADC reference disturbance  because of comparators switching. So better make reference less sensitive to sudden change other make coupling less to reference. Use per-amplifier at the comparator input otherwise use good DE-coupling cap at each tap of the resistive divider (this is called bowing ).

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2011, 10:36am

hello,
you are wrong, decoupling caps doesn't slow down your ckt's. It is just bias ckts for comparator. This is very imp when you have switch cap comparator. Any how thing about resistors-string bowing

Thanks,
Raj.

Sanjay Rajasekhar

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2011, 1:41am

There is probably a nicer way to deal with this. If you have a good parasitic extractor, you could probably do some simulations with parasitics to check the strength of the kickback. Once you have a fairly good idea, you could choose a cap value which when used between the output of the comparator and the ladder tap point would result in the same strength of kickback. Now all you have to do is to connect one end of this cap to the ladder tap point, and the other end to the inverted comparator output. So when the comparator is pushing some charge onto the ladder, now there is this new cap which is absorbing it, leaving the ladder tap point voltage largely unchanged. I'm pretty sure that this cap value wont be very high.

However beware of creating inadvertent negative feedback paths which could result in multiple triggers on your comparators.

Regards,
Sanjay

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2011, 8:13am

jefkat wrote on Dec 15th, 2011, 9:24am:
Thanks Raja for the comments. Using pre-amplifiers is out of question as I have no current left . Not so sure about using decoupling caps. Decoupling caps will slow the ladder down further.

It is a power/speed/accuracy trade-off. The caps will reduce the glitch size, but the smaller glitches will take longer to settle to zero. For example, increasing the filtering might take a 100mV glitch that takes 100nS to settle and change it into a 1mV glitch that takes 10uS to settle. If your error tolerance is much more than 1mV you don't care how long it takes to settle so using caps might make sense in that case.

The down side to filtering is that the taps will never settle to their exact value. You need to check the average current coming out of the taps and make sure the IR drop isn't too large.

Code dependent currents can cause problems, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem at 5 bits, 8MHz. Check your average current for different codes and see how it will affect the average voltage of the taps of your ladder.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2011, 2:25pm

Consider a sample and hold circuit which is in "hold" mode while
all the transient switching is going on.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2011, 5:37am

jefkat wrote on Dec 14th, 2011, 12:54pm:
Hi folks,
         Is there a clever way to minimize the code dependent kick on the ladder. I have a differential signal and I need to quantize it at 5 bit resolution and at 8MHz. I can not spend much current . So any hints, references etc , most welcome..
Thanks
shaf

Your signal is differential. Are you also using a differential threshold for the comparators? If not, then you should as you can cut down the effective impedance presented by the ladder to any differential kickback by a factor of 2. I have seen many people use a single-ended threshold where they take one end off the ladder and the other is grounded or tied to a common mode voltage.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2011, 6:23am

hello vivek,
if you use pure differential reference then only differential impedance offered by ladder will be half, where as if you only single ended reference and and by applying one side reference and one side common mode voltage to comparator then i guess you don't see reduction in differential impedance, am i correct? correct me if am wrong.  

Thanks,
Raj.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2011, 10:59am

OH, this is on the bias reference chain to a flash ADC?

1. Resistance in series with the comparator input
that connects to the bias reference chain.

2. If needed, filter capacitors on each end of that resistor.

the Pi section RC filter created is a LPF in both directions

try it, you will like it!

:)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 1:49am

jefkat wrote on Dec 14th, 2011, 12:54pm:
Hi folks,
Thanks
shaf

Hi,

beside adding caps to the reference ladder (which is usually very good). Another good way might be to use a comparator with kick-back cancellation capacitance  :). This would have a similar effect than a pre-amp, but without more current. Usually dummy mosfets are inserted in cross-coupled manner. This way the charge injection to ref ladder is canceled (at least to e.g. 90%). The slow-down of the comp should be small (like 15%).

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 4:57am

hello,
do you mean neutralization capacitors?

Thanks,
Raj.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.