The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 1:14am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Poly resistor self heating (Read 13559 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Poly resistor self heating
Jan 02nd, 2012, 8:29am

On another site a person was wondering how much a poly resistor would self heat if dissipating ~2.5 mW @ 2mA. I would have dismissed it, but I guess it can be a problem. Poly is encased in oxide so the thermal resistance to the outside world is relatively high. Do any of you know about what to expect for temp increase, or the typical recommended current density for poly?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Poly resistor self heating
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:54pm

RobG wrote on Jan 2nd, 2012, 8:29am:
On another site a person was wondering how much a poly resistor would self heat if dissipating ~2.5 mW @ 2mA. I would have dismissed it, but I guess it can be a problem. Poly is encased in oxide so the thermal resistance to the outside world is relatively high. Do any of you know about what to expect for temp increase, or the typical recommended current density for poly?

Foundry specifications for current density should be your guideline here.

It will be foundry unique due to thickness of the poly layer.

Heating of substrate can be done using the total
wattage on chip and the thermal (degrees C/watt)
rating of the package.

Localized heating on the die is a little toughter.
You can do a thermal model and estimate the thermal
conductivity of each layer and all that. Its a time consuming
PITA. If you got silicon, you can do an infrared photo to
see whats "hot or not"

From prior work, a hot element on die, tends to conduct pretty well
to whats around it. (based on the "hot or not" pixs) Thermal
isolation of oxides, probably not that good
because the oxides are so thin.

Best I got.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:54am

A rough estimate would require a lot of parameters, even to get to the right order of magnitude. I agree with loos-electron on the current density part: they don't want the real resistors to deviate too much from the models they provide. =) I have not encountered any cases with self heating of large poly silicon resistor banks. Most of the heat related issues I had were temperature gradients across the chip, but the standard layout techniques easily covered this.

I doubt that the poly silicon height really matters. Usually the height is much smaller than the width and length. In principal it is about the area of the resistor, the distance to the good thermal conducting silicon, and the thermal conductivity of silicon dioxide (probably not a constant vs temp btw).

This is of course under the assumption of an ideal substrate. I guess for thinned substrates or even SOI, heat dissipation effects might be more pronounced (no experience here). I wonder how the thermal shocks given by ESD to the devices are handled over there.

I tried the heat sensor tool/gun once on a PCB but it was very difficult to use and I couldn't draw any conclusion from the images it gave. Especially the reflection of devices is very confusing.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 6:19am

One more thing to consider is the driving circuit and TC of your poly resistor: if resistivity decreases with increasing temp, and the driving circuit is capable of provide the necessary power, more current will flow and eventually the resistor could be fused.
I guess those limits will depend on the process parameters, and as I suggested whether the TC is positive or negative (depending on the poly implants if any).

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:46am

I got some numbers for a 0.18u CMOS 250 ohm/sq unsilicided resistor from a friend. They surprised the heck out of me. I won't give you the exact numbers but the change in temperature is proportional to the square of the current density and is approximately:

0.4*Rsheet*(I/W)^2, where I is in mA and W is in um.

So, for 2 mA current in a resistor with a width of 1um the temp increase will be 100*(2/1)^2 = 400 C.

Wow.

At the maximum current density with no similar devices within 6um the temp increase is about 100C. Twice that if you have other resistors close by (I assume these resistors need to have the same current density but the rules didn't say). Don't push the limits for sure.

Luckily it is inversely related to the square of the width, so a width of 5um only increase the temp by 16 C.

Since the temp change is proportional to current density I would assume that changing the height of the poly would have the same effect as changing the width.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:36am

RobG wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:46am:
So, for 2 mA current in a resistor with a width of 1um the temp increase will be 100*(2/1)^2 = 400 C.

Wow.

Thats a lot of current in a very small space.
I would get the current density rules and the
electromigration rules for the process and start there.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:44am

Actually, in my post I also did the calculation with the max current density that were in the rules that my friend gave me. The temp change was 100 C! I'm surprised they'd let it get that hot so the process guys probably put a lot of margin in that number.

This wasn't for a design I was doing so I don't have any rules of my own. I was helping a friend in academia. The rules given to students are often incomplete.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:35pm

Hi RobG,

Quote:
the change in temperature is proportional to the square of the current density and is approximately:

0.4*Rsheet*(I/W)^2

note that this is equal to 0.4*Power/Area (uW/um2). So it is simply the heat power per unit area generated with some factor added.

This result is kind of surprising in that the answer doesn't depend on the surroundings. As others have mentioned, the increase in temperature depends on the thermal resistance between the die and the environment. I'm a bit skeptical of the equation, but maybe because the power dissipation is so localized it loses this dependence? Or maybe it is an instantaneous increase in temperature (i.e. steady state temperature is lower)?

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:59pm

It's a steady state temp. They had a second equation where the increase was about 2x if there were similar resistors close by. Maybe the thermal resistance of the oxide is so high that it dominates the paths to the thermal ground (or whatever they call it). They don't talk about packaging either so it is probably just a swag at the answer, but it is good to know when things get really hot.

I wonder if you could keep it cooler by covering it with "grounded" metal.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:13pm

The oxide is extremely thin so normally it would not affect the overall thermal resistance, also Polysilicon itself is a good thermal conductor. I guess you are looking in the right direction though. Perhaps if the resistor is small, then the local thermal resistance dominates the paths to "thermal ground" (i.e. air). So they can guesstimate the temperature. The easiest way to keep it cooler is the one you already pointed out...make it bigger.

Quote:
They had a second equation where the increase was about 2x if there were similar resistors close by.

that's also surprising. If you have two similar resistors, then you have double the area and double the power. I can't see why the temperature would increase...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2012, 12:08am

aaron_do wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:13pm:
The oxide is extremely thin so normally it would not affect the overall thermal resistance, also Polysilicon itself is a good thermal conductor...

The oxide has a much lower thermal conductivity/higher thermal resistance than the substrate. Usually a resistor is made over STI hence it increases the distance to the thermally conducting substrate. So most of the delta T will be between the resistor and the substrate. The thermal resistance between the poly silicon and the substrate will be roughly:

Rth = z / ( k * L * W)

z : distance between poly silicon and substrate (height of the oxide between the resistor and the substrate)
k : thermal conductivity oxide
L,W : length and width of poly silicon resistor

Of course, this formula is very simple and only valid for large surfaces, for which the temperature increase is probably negligible.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2012, 1:04am

Hi Lex,

Quote:
The oxide has a much lower thermal conductivity/higher thermal resistance than the substrate. Usually a resistor is made over STI hence it increases the distance to the thermally conducting substrate. So most of the delta T will be between the resistor and the substrate.

Are you sure about that? For an unnamed CMOS process which I have access to, the substrate thickness is 625 times thicker than the STI. The thermal conductivity of silicon is 149 W·m−1·K−1 while that of SiO2 seems to be around 1.4 W·m−1·K−1. So the thermal resistance of the bulk is still about 6 times higher. Feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2012, 1:27am

aaron_do wrote on Jan 4th, 2012, 1:04am:
Are you sure about that? For an unnamed CMOS process which I have access to, the substrate thickness is 625 times thicker than the STI. The thermal conductivity of silicon is 149 W·m−1·K−1 while that of SiO2 seems to be around 1.4 W·m−1·K−1. So the thermal resistance of the bulk is still about 6 times higher. Feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong.

The factor of 6 would hold only if you would have no lateral dispersion of the heat in your substrate. With the dispersion, I think you'll get temperature iso-clines that are related to the square of the distance to the heat source. The reason that I ignore this for the oxide, is that the resistor's sizes are assumed larger than the oxide layer thickness (only true for relatively large resistors).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2012, 1:45am

Hi Lex,

yes I agree. I think RobG's original guess was correct

Quote:
the thermal resistance of the oxide is so high that it dominates the paths to the thermal ground (or whatever they call it).

because he is dealing with such a small area.

regards,
Aaron

P.S. that leads to a different question. Normally the resistance is temperature dependent and we set the temperature in the simulation options. So is this self-heating taken into account?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2012, 4:41am

RobG wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:59pm:
I wonder if you could keep it cooler by covering it with "grounded" metal.

As a matter of fact, you can do that. The "grounded" metal must however go to a suitable thermal sink, e.g. substrate and you want to use M1 for this cover as that would be closest to the poly. Given that the exact thermal coefficient will depend on the M1 pattern you lay out on top of your poly resistor, I would expect the foundry to provide a standard resistor with the shield on it, and a switch in the model which accounts for this shield when estimating self-heating.

By the way, it might be better to use diffusion resistors rather the poly if current densities are high enough to make self-heating significant. The resistor is then embedded in a well and can dissipate more heat into the substrate directly, and any M1 cover on top of it can be placed much closer to the resistor (vertical clearance).

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.