The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 3:16am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Poly resistor self heating (Read 13592 times)
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Poly resistor self heating
Reply #15 - Jan 04th, 2012, 6:59am

RobG wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:44am:
Actually, in my post I also did the calculation with the max current density that were in the rules that my friend gave me. The temp change was 100 C! I'm surprised they'd let it get that hot so the process guys probably put a lot of margin in that number.

However you are probably not accounting
for the max temp rules. Got to respect both.

If its an academic problem, it does not matter,

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2012, 7:53am

vivkr wrote on Jan 4th, 2012, 4:41am:
By the way, it might be better to use diffusion resistors rather the poly if current densities are high enough to make self-heating significant. The resistor is then embedded in a well and can dissipate more heat into the substrate directly, and any M1 cover on top of it can be placed much closer to the resistor (vertical clearance).

Yes, I believe that is the case.When you include the well and account for the spacings I'm not sure it isn't easier to make a wider poly. I guess it would depend.

Aaron, I know some models do account for self heating, but I don't know the details of how it is done.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2012, 12:05am

aaron_do wrote on Jan 4th, 2012, 1:45am:
P.S. that leads to a different question. Normally the resistance is temperature dependent and we set the temperature in the simulation options. So is this self-heating taken into account?

I think the VCR2 accounts for that (or at least for some of it), as it is the coefficient that is multiplied by V^2 (a power term).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.