The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:21pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Compensation around an OTA and some basic stuff! (Read 3292 times)
rajdeep

UK
Compensation around an OTA and some basic stuff!
Jan 05th, 2012, 9:11am

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all!

I was trying to improve freq response of an LDO using lead-lag compensation technique. Its a classical LDO from architecture point of view. That is having an error amp, followed by a PMOS pass device. It uses a 1uF cap to create the dominant pole. Problem is the error amp (EA) has 2 poles, and the compensation isn't great. I wanted to try out some text book external compensation methods (rather than internal miller compensation), that is putting R and C around the EA to add zeros and poles to improve the freq response. Couldn't get that working! And after some thought I find one major difference between what I am doing and what the books suggest is that my EA is an OTA really, with high output impedance, rather than an ideal OPAMP with small output impedance. This confused me so much that I am posing some basic questions.

1. Don't you think there is a fundamental difference in applying an external compensation (i.e. putting R and C) on an OTA and an OPAMP? I cannot do it in the same way as it shows in text books for example using an OTA?

2. More basic question: if I consider an inverting amplifier with R1, R2 connected in standard way around an OTA, rather than an OPAMP, wont it affect the open-loop gain of the OTA itself and hence affecting the transfer function? What I understand the feedback resistor R2 (between output and the negative terminal) will start loading the output stage of the OTA and hence affect its open loop gain?

Pls. let me know what do you think.

Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
rsmithuf

Dallas, TX
Re: Compensation around an OTA and some basic stuff!
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2012, 9:24am

As far as question 2 is concerned, for a inverting type architecture, the resistor connecting output to one of the input terminal does not load the OTA because it draws no current. Issues arise in using OTAs in non-inverting applications because there is a resistive load to ground, which will draw current and affect the performance.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012, 9:36am

hello,
1. dont be confused with terms called OTA and opamp. You have to see whether you have drive high impedance or low impedance, in case of high impedance you don't need to care about current required by the amplifier, so OTA (again OTA means amplifier with high impedance) can drive, in case if you want to drive low impedance load you have to use an buffer in between amplifier and load (this is called opamp).

2. You don't need to design op amp (better cal it as amplifier rather op amp), because this amplifier is not driving any low impedance and your o/p is driving the load so it should have low impedance and by default there is shunt feedback hence it can drive (the impedance of an regulator is 1/(A*gm))

3.Regarding inverting amplifier yes it will effect the gain of the last stage, and many cases this is the reason why people go for two stage at least (again this is called opamp rather OTA)

3. Coming to your regulator design you have designed 2 stage op amp for error amplifier, due to the fact that you mentioned that you have 2 poles in the error amplifier and one is the o/p pole. so better use single stage opamp in the first stage (of course it depends on the how much dc psrr you need), and try compensate through pole zero compensation.

Sorry for the big reply. Try to post the bode plot if posb.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2012, 9:42am

hello rsmithuf,
In case of inverting amplifier opamp input is signal ground, so R2 draws current, so there is no difference between inverting and non-inverting amplifier....

Thanks,
Raj.

rajdeep

UK
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2012, 11:16am

Hi Raja,

Thanks for the reply! Yes I was also thinking of explaining what I mean by OTA and OPAMP really before asking the questions. Lets use amp_hi as amplifier with high o/p impedance, and amp_lo for an amp with low o/p impedance.

In (3) you agree with the loading point but mention that one should go for 2-stage. But then the second stage has to be a buffer I guess to ensure low o/p impedance? [As you mentioned in point (1)].

So in summary I really cannot add poles-zeros by adding R,Cs across an amp_hi. I need to use an amp_lo?  For example if you can look at this link: http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an9415.pdf I just googled and found this. If you look at Fig 26 for example, that amplifier has to be an amp_lo, right?

Sorry if I am asking you the same thing again!

About the regulator design, the LDO works in silicon! But strangely it's phase margin is very poor, but still works!! Nevertheless, I was trying to improve it by employing some lead-lag network without modifying the error amp itself, when I observed this fundamental issue.

Thanks,
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2012, 11:32am

hello rajdeep,
yes you are correct, if you 2 stage final one will get loaded and it's gain drops but my Question is why you need low impedance unless you are working open loop (which no one will d0), feedback will give you low impedance. And one more thing any how your last stage gain will be killed by load so design last stage for some thing else like high driving capability or swing rather than high gain.  Trying to make o/p impedance lower by using source follower is bad from stability point of view (it adds another pole especially with high capacitive loads) and o/p common mode due to vth drop (it is not that bad any how finally feedback will get you the right bias).

To be frank in fig 26 i really didn't understand why low impedance, because even though you have high impedance feedback get you the right bias. Let me know if you have doubt, i am interested in Fb and basic analog.

Have fun,
Raj.

rajdeep

UK
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2012, 12:07pm

Hi Raja,

In a standard negative feedback network we add a feedback network to achieve negative feedback so that the closed loop gain is determined by the feedback network only. Now that feedback network I guess should not load the original forward gain circuit. For example, in that same document Figure 1, β network should not load A network. If β starts to load A then A may not remain significantly high and hence will make the whole thing....well very complicated! Thats why I think a feedback network like in Fig 26 should not load the amplifier whose main task is to provide a large gain. Thats why I think it should be an amp_lo.

cheers!
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2012, 12:17pm

hello sir,
what you are saying absolutely correct. But use two stage amplifier, so that final stage gain will killed by feedback n/w (if 2nd stage o/p impedance higher than FB network). Please find the attached fig. In that first stage amplifies the voltage and 2nd stage is mainly to supply the current to fb network. And when you connect in the loop whole amplifier behaves as an voltage amplifier with o/p impedance low as shown in the fig.

May be you are confusing with common source and common drain amplifier even though both can drive higher current CS will be preferable many times.

Thanks,
raj.

designers.png
rajdeep

UK
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2012, 3:00am

Hi Raja,

I agree to your point of reduction of o/p impedance due to negative feedback. I guess what you have been trying to tell me is that one doesn't have to reduce the o/p impedance of the amplifier as the negative feedback will do that anyway. Also, the 1st stage of the amplifier should have enough gain, such that the reduction of the second stage gain due to loading of the feedback network should still provide enough overall gain in the feedforward path. I hope I got it correct this time?

But I think the nice transfer functions derived for lead-lag compensator assumes very easily rout of the amplifier small! A higher rout of the amplifier complicates the whole situation as the feedback network modifies the original open-loop bode plot of the amplifier. Will try to experiment this with 2 different amplifiers and see...

Thanks for the replies guys!
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2012, 3:10am

hello,
yes you are correct, When you derive closed loop expressions you need to consider feedback loading for open loop forward gain (a.k.a A in text books), refer chapter 8 in analog integrated circuits book by razaavi, otherwise refer this doc (one of the well written doc on feedback)

www.krkfoundation.org/noteset2.pdf

Thanks,
Raj.

rajdeep

UK
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2012, 4:11am

Hi,

I have a curious thing happening now after I have 'improved' the phase margin of the overall loop. But it makes the transient response worse and actually shows oscillation. I am attaching the Bode plot and  transient response, and also a simple block diagram of the ldo. Do you think I am missing something from the Bode plot? The phase margin, gain margin appear to be all right but the bump at the phase plot could indicate something. Could anyone help me out here understanding what could be going wrong?

To do the ac analysis I have simply cut the vfb node and added an ac signal there and observed the loop gain from vfb to output i.e. drain of PMOS. I havent shown the compensation I have added. This done at 10mA load current (not shown). To do the transient I enable at the LDO with a 10mA load current with the vref input already being settled.

Thanks,
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2012, 4:40am

hello rajdeep,
your bode plots looks very wired for an simple LDO and moreover you can't use Phase margin and gain margin when you have non-monotonic Ac response, in this case you have to Nyquist plot and check for the encirclements.

But My Question is why for LDo this kind of behavior? Did you check Ac response with proper loadings (means you have to break the loop properly if you are not using STB ). Normally you have two dominate ploes one is at the opamp o/p and another is at the regulator o/p. But seems there is dominate pole at 10Hz and DC gain is around 100k, so for decent compensation you should have UGB at 1e6, but in your case it's less than this means compensation is not proper.

Try .pz in worst case to get to know the pole zero locations.

Thanks,
Raj.

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2012, 5:22am

hello,
i am attaching one one bode corresponding to similar kind of regulator. At least before UGB response is monotonic.

Thanks,
Raj.

Untitled_004.png
rajdeep

UK
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2012, 5:31am

Hi,

I guess I am doing it right Smiley As I said in the last post I cut the vfb node and apply an ac signal and plot the ac mag and phase at the output (drain of the pmos).

I also find the ac plot unusual. But thats what I got after adding the compensation network around the error amp. Theoretically it should have a dominant pole at origin, 2 zeros, and 1 pole. My calculations say one of the zeros should be around 30K another one coinciding with the other pole of the compensation network. So the zero at 30K is the one that compensates the pole at the output of the LDO. I need to make this zero dependent on load current. Note that this plots are at 10mA, so that the zero at 30K provides some phase boost to counter the pole at load end.

Thanks for pointing out the monotonic point! Can .pz method show me whether I have complex pole? Never used it. I am suspecting I may have a complex pole which is screwing up the stability.

Also, the gain plot is pretty monotonic. So, is it that both gain and phase have to monotonic and only in that case we can look at PM and GM for analyzing stability? I am asking this more because lead compensation is added to boost the phase near cross over freq. So the phase there increases and eventually goes down again. What if in those cases??

Thanks
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2012, 6:26am

hello,
you should  have monotonic for both phase and magnitude. Let us say you have monotonic gain fall but if you have some non-monotonicity in phase, means there is chance of encircling -1,0 point.

.PZ gives real and imaginary parts of the pole so you can find location, but the disadvantage of this method is it gives so many poles and zero's at high frequency and many doublets, so you have to search a lot for the dominate one.

Thanks,
raj.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.