The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 10th, 2024, 10:15pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Converting differential voltage to digital (Read 4960 times)
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Converting differential voltage to digital
Reply #30 - Feb 09th, 2012, 5:01pm

Dan Clement wrote on Feb 7th, 2012, 5:08am:
Thanks Jerry, that sounds like an efficient topology.

Simple, but quite slow...

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #31 - Feb 10th, 2012, 6:50am

mixed_signal wrote on Feb 6th, 2012, 8:29am:
Thank you all for the valuable information!
I have to design the voltage reference as well for the sensor.

I am using a process where the max voltage Vdd  is 1.2v and the bandgap voltage is slightly <1.14V. Is it advisable to  go for voltage mode band gap reference where I will have vref=1.2v with few mV overdrive for my PMOS.

Will current mode bandgap be a better option? Is it suitable for sensor with uncalibrated accuracy? Since resistors in current mode is large I am wondering about the offsets and the inaccuracy.

You can not do a traditional bandgap with a 1.2V supply. I'm a tad worried that you are taking on a such a challenging task and not knowing that as there are many more pitfalls that are much more subtle. Anyway, getting the tolerance you need with a current mode bandgap (like Banba) will be tough at the power levels you are dealing with. Watch process corners and mismatch in your current mirrors. There are far better ways to do this than with a full bandgap, but I'm a contractor (and Jerry is too) and bandgaps/temp sensors are a big part of my "mental inventory" so I don't want to give any more hard earned information away for free. Sorry....

Jerry - the 1st order incremental is basically a refined version of the vco-type converter. I remember a paper about temperature to frequency converter that may have used that being published a few years back, so the OP might be able to find it (there I go giving it away again)  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2012, 1:07pm by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2012, 11:36am

RobG wrote on Feb 10th, 2012, 6:50am:
but I'm a contractor (and Jerry is too) and bandgaps/temp sensors are a big part of my "mental inventory" so I don't want to give any more hard earned information away for free. Sorry....

Jerry - the 1st order incremental is basically a refined version of the vco-type converter. I remember a paper about temperature to frequency converter that may have used that being published a few years back, so the OP might be able to find it (there I go giving it away again)  :)

Yeah, there are papers out there on this topic, I had mentioned them before.

Let them do some serious research and they will find them.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.