The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 10th, 2024, 5:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decaps  in the  schematics (Read 3399 times)
zahrein

Decaps  in the  schematics
Jan 30th, 2012, 4:45pm

HI All,
When we design a circuits/schematics.  The layout  guy will certainly  put the decaps after we design it.  My question is,  what is the function of the decaps  and does it impact the performance of the design? I observe the decaps were  connected to  voltage rails.  Can  anyone  helps?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Decaps  in the  schematics
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2012, 5:14pm

Hi,

at RF, decoupling capacitor placement and design can be very important. The supply line connecting the supply to the circuit has some inductance and resistance which prevents it from reacting quickly to fast changes in the current drawn from the supply. Having a decoupling capacitor close to the circuit provides a large well of electrons for the circuit to draw from during transients.

I think there is a document on this website somewhere with a good discussion on supply decoupling. BTW, I said at RF because that's what I mostly work on, but I'm sure in other areas it is also very important.

regards,
Aaron

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
zahrein

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2012, 5:37pm

HI Aaron, thanks for the sharing. now  i undertstand. Since my supply voltage is ideal, hence there is no affect on my analog  funvtions/prformance when the layout put the decaps.  We have decaps to prevent fast changes of  current drawn from the supply.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2012, 9:04pm

You may want to change your power supply model a bit, put 10nH in series with .25 ohms in both the power and ground connections back to the ideal power supply.

Thats a rough set of numbers. for the bond wire interconnect and the resistance of the interconnect.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2012, 12:14am

Decoupling caps on reference/bias lines also help lower the noise (a result of lowering the bandwidth).

It can go wrong as well in some cases, for example when a reference w.r.t. VDD is decoupled to VSS or vice verse. Clear communication is required between designer and layouter to prevent these errors.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2012, 9:27am

aaron_do wrote on Jan 30th, 2012, 5:14pm:
I think there is a document on this website somewhere with a good discussion on supply decoupling. BTW, I said at RF because that's what I mostly work on, but I'm sure in other areas it is also very important.

Here you go: http://www.designers-guide.org/Design/bypassing.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2012, 9:42am

hello zahrein,
when you draw switching current(or spikes ) out of supply (for example when you have big digital ckt on vdd), you will end up with voltage dip due to it's power grid resistance and inductance, so if you please a big capacitor across the vdd it supplies sudden spiky current and vdd supply dc current. Hence there is no dip on the supply.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.