The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 11:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help - Impedance Tuning in Power Amplifier (Read 2452 times)
RFJunkies

Need help - Impedance Tuning in Power Amplifier
Feb 12th, 2012, 6:58am

Hi there,

Can anyone help me on the tuning of the PA circuit?I have difficulties on tuning the circuit because of little knowledge in RF.This is my mini project in my class. I try numerous attempt to get the individual value of the resistor,capacitor and inductor but seems cannot get my gain. Please help me with the value and teach me how to do them

Thanks,
newbie,
Kazu Embarrassed

PA_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Need help - Impedance Tuning in Power Amplifier
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2012, 5:11pm

Hi,

first of all, the resistors Rs and RL should be fixed (50-ohm for example). R1 and R2 should be chosen for whatever bias point you want (Class A, B, C...). L1C1 form a resonator with ω02=1/L1C1. Same goes for L2C2. You can determine L3 using the smith chart, or approximately by finding the total input gate capacitance, and then resonating it with L3. Lastly L5C4 transform RL to a lower impedance. You first need to determine what impedance that is by the amount of power you need (call it RLL). Remember that the maximum power the circuit can deliver is approximately VDD2/2RLL. You can then use the smith chart. If you don't like the smith chart, L5 can be calculated by Q=RL/ωL5 and RLL=ωL5/Q (those are approximations). Also, ω02=1/L5C4.
That should get you started, but you probably need to fine tune. Also, any node which you want to determine whether it is resonating or not, simple inject 1A AC current into it and check the AC voltage. Remember to disable other AC sources first though...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFJunkies

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2012, 6:20am

Hi Aaron,

First of all thanks for the explanations  :) it gives me alot of help. I wil try and give u my feedback.

I need to implement the circuit using CMOS technology and simulate using mentorgraphic. Because of the problem in tuning to match it using input signal of 2.4GHz the circuit doesnt show any gain at output node. Can u advise further?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2012, 12:38am

Hi,

I suggest you try and tune it first, and if you can't get it to work, you can try posting the actual schematic that you designed, as well as some simulation results.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.