The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transmission Line Periodic Loss (Read 1863 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Transmission Line Periodic Loss
Feb 16th, 2012, 8:09pm

Hi all,

I designed a simple microstrip line on PCB for a circuit, and in the measurement, I noticed there is a periodic dip in the insertion loss. So I ran a simulation using ADS momentum, and noticed the same effect (see attachment). Note that this is insertion loss calculated as |S21|2/(1-|S11|2)

When I make the line shorter, the dip moves to higher frequencies. Does anybody know why this periodic dip is occuring?

thanks,
Aaron

EDIT: Seems to be because the ground plane is too narrow. Does anybody know any guidelines on how large the ground plane should be?

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2012, 9:46pm by aaron_do »  

PeriodicIL_Tline.jpg

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Transmission Line Periodic Loss
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2012, 1:20pm

Looks to me like a phase relationship between your input signal period  and the "down and back" period of the transmission line.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Transmission Line Periodic Loss
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2012, 3:29am

Not sure what you mean. Sounds like you're talking about a standing wave...the plot is actual power loss, so it is not due to reflection.

After some careful simulating, it seems to be related to the width of the ground plane underneath the microstrip line. If I make the ground plane very wide, the dips go away. Its kind of strange though because at the moment, the ground plane is already around 20 times wider than the trace.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.