The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The analysis of RLC in series is inconsistent with simulation results. (Read 2459 times)
xxgeneral

The analysis of RLC in series is inconsistent with simulation results.
Feb 24th, 2012, 12:56am

Hi everyone,

I simulated a simple circuit with RLC in series under Cadence Spectre. L and C resonate at 1MHz. A sinasoidal source with an amplitude of 600mV stimulates RLC at 1MHz. And, R=50Ohm, L=25.33mH, C=1pF.

My thought is, LC gets its minimum impedance at 1MHz. So in steady responses LC has a very low voltage, wheras R has a large one reaching 600mV.

However, the simulation result is reverse. That is, LC has a very large voltage, nearly 600mV. R has a small one, only 20mV.

I did another simulation with L=25.33uH and C=1nF. Then,  LC has a very low voltage, and R has a large one reaching 600mV.

This confuses me a lot.
Anyone can help me?
Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: The analysis of RLC in series is inconsistent with simulation results.
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2012, 2:20am

hello,
be clear when you are saying some thing. Even though resonance frequency is same in both cases Quality factor is different, so the final voltage across the inductor and capacitor is equal for any circuit and it is equal to Q*Vin and voltage  across resister resister will be Vin.

case 1: (L=25.33uH and C=1nF): So here Q will be around 3.1, so volate across inductor and capacitor will be 3.1*600mv=1.8v, this is the value even i got through sim.
case2: (L=25.33mH, C=1pF): here Q=3183, so voltage across L and C wil be Q*vin.

But one thing may be you have to run sim for more time, because in the second case Q is very high so it takes time to reach steady state.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2012, 2:02pm

raja.cedt wrote on Feb 24th, 2012, 2:20am:
hello,
be clear when you are saying some thing. Even though resonance frequency is same in both cases Quality factor is different, so the final voltage across the inductor and capacitor is equal for any circuit and it is equal to Q*Vin and voltage  across resister resister will be Vin.

case 1: (L=25.33uH and C=1nF): So here Q will be around 3.1, so volate across inductor and capacitor will be 3.1*600mv=1.8v, this is the value even i got through sim.

But one thing may be you have to run sim for more time, because in the second case Q is very high so it takes time to reach steady state.

Thanks,
Raj.

Agreed!

and also is this AC or TRAN simulations?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
xxgeneral

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2012, 5:01am

raja.cedt wrote on Feb 24th, 2012, 2:20am:
hello,

Thanks,
Raj.

Hi Raj.

Thanks for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.