The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What value of port impedance should be in Noise simulation with Cadence Spectre? (Read 1937 times)
xxgeneral

What value of port impedance should be in Noise simulation with Cadence Spectre?
Feb 25th, 2012, 10:11pm

Hi guys,

I've gotten something unsure about noise factor. Hope for help here.

The Noise Factor is defined as below.
N = (Na+G*Ns)/(G*Ns).
Different Ns produces different N. And in Cadence spectre, the noise source is usually a port. The impedance of the port provides the thermal noise 4kTRB V^2, which is related to the value of R.
Q1: What value of R should be set?
Q2: If R=50 Ohm, why?
Q3: If R=Rout of the preceding device, then noise factor of the DUV(Device Under Test) is dependent on different source impedances. So noise factor is not a general performance factor of DUV for comparison, isn't it?

Anyone can help me?
Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: What value of port impedance should be in Noise simulation with Cadence Spectre?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012, 2:15pm

What will be the impedance of the device dribving your test circuit?

Am I missing something here?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Re: What value of port impedance should be in Noise simulation with Cadence Spectre?
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012, 2:39pm

With different source resistance u get different NF since the gain from the voltage source to the output changes.

For NF simulation the impedance should be set to 50 Ohms since this is a standard in the industry and when u measure something, you will use 50-Ohms measurement equipment. If you know NF of a device u can estimate the NF with any source impedance so do always a NF simulation with a 50 Ohm port and you will never confuse yourself or somebody else in the future.

If you calculate not a 50-Ohm system, it is better to calculate voltage and current noise at the output and use SNR term because this is what is needed at the end of a day.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.