The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Layout issues (Read 3326 times)
andr.dimitris

Layout issues
Mar 11th, 2012, 4:00pm

Does anyone know a good book or series of courses for rf circuit layout  (not just the design of the circuit but the actual physical design)? I have to design and do the layout of an LC and a Ring VCO (both at 5Ghz), but I have stuck with the layout. The output does not oscillate; it just has a steady value (the dc analysis however is consistent with the schematic). I attach some screens of the layout of the VCO. I use thick and big in width metals (top level) for the signal. For ground and supply lines, I use first level of metal and maximum width. I use a lot of connectors at the nodes; will this result into a problem? Should i use less connectors? I do not have a lot of experience with physical design as an undergraduate student. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

layout2.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
andr.dimitris

Re: Layout issues
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:03pm

i do not know if i am able to post multiple pictures at one post...sry.

layout1.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
andr.dimitris

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:05pm

the whole vco...

layout3.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
andr.dimitris

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:05pm

and the last one with the transistor I use for the current source

layout4.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2012, 6:56pm

andr.dimitris wrote on Mar 11th, 2012, 4:00pm:
Does anyone know a good book or series of courses for rf circuit layout  (not just the design of the circuit but the actual physical design)? I have to design and do the layout of an LC and a Ring VCO (both at 5Ghz), but I have stuck with the layout. The output does not oscillate; it just has a steady value (the dc analysis however is consistent with the schematic). I attach some screens of the layout of the VCO. I use thick and big in width metals (top level) for the signal. For ground and supply lines, I use first level of metal and maximum width. I use a lot of connectors at the nodes; will this result into a problem? Should i use less connectors? I do not have a lot of experience with physical design as an undergraduate student. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

Oscillators that do not oscillate in a simulator

you need a copy of Ken's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Guide-SPICE-Spectre%C2%AE-Series/dp/0792395719/r...

And on the practical aspect of layout you need Chris and Judy's book:

http://www.amazon.com/IC-Mask-Design-Essential-Techniques/dp/0071389962/ref=sr_1...

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.