The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
size of inductor (Read 900 times)
varun patial

size of inductor
Mar 13th, 2012, 12:44am

Hi respected RF IC engg,
I am trying to design LNA operating at 2.14GHz frequency in cadance RF spectre . Following are some problems I am facing regarding the sizes of passive devices like inductor and capacitors:-
1. Regarding Size of Inductor:-In inductor as we know that at high frequencies parasitic resistance along with parasitic capacitors come into picture . As I have studied , that keeping the width large reduces resistance and at the same time reducing inner diameter reduces negative mutual inductances between the turns and increasing no. of turns increases inductance, by keeping these parameters(width,number of turns, diameter) into account i can only able to produce inductor of value 8.32nH(maximum value)
while i need suppose 14nH, so problem is that how to make inductor of value 14 nH while keeping into account all parameters that reduces parasitic effect
one of the solution (keeping into account above mentioned parameters) I tried was
1 ) connecting inductors in series for getting large value inductance
2) connecting large value inductors in parallel foe getting low value inductance
The problem i m facing is
1) Is my approach right ?
2) second, if it is right than how I design layout with such large no. of inductors in my design . Isnt it making my design bulky?
Similar sort of problem regarding resistors and capacitors
Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.