The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 2nd, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to bias constant gm rail-to-rail OTA (Read 5347 times)
cktdesigner
Community Member

India
how to bias constant gm rail-to-rail OTA
Mar 14th, 2012, 3:47am

Hi,

Can someone please explain how to choose Vb1 and Vb2 in the constant-gm rail-to-rail OTA in the attached schematic?

r2r.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: how to bias constant gm rail-to-rail OTA
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2012, 4:00pm

Interesting architecture - you got a source for that?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2012, 10:17am

hi,

Set Vb1 to Vonp and Vb2 to Vonn, where Vonp  and Vonn are the input CM levels at which PMOS and NMOS diff pairs turn on respectively.
If you do so then,

for vicm < vonn , IM1,2 = 0. thus IM5 = 2IR2 and IM8=0 (since M3,4 sources turn M8 off)
for vicm > vonp,  IM3,4 = 0, thus IM8 = 2IR1 and IM5=0 (since M1,2 sources turn M5 off)

for vonn < vicm < vonp, both IM8 and IM5 are OFF; otherwise, since the current loop is positive, adaptive bias circuit would not be controlled. In this case IM1,2 = 2IR2 and IM3,4 = 2IR1

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2012, 10:20am

You have a lot of flexibility -- you could probably connect both to mid rail so both diff pairs would only operate together at the mid-point. Whatever you do, the idea is to choose Vb1 so that M7 is still saturated when M8 is diverting all the current (i.e. Vin+ at top rail). Same thing with Vb2. You might, for example, create Vb2 with a diode connected mosfet so that M5 acts as a low-voltage cascode when it diverts the current.

[edit, Tosei posted while I was typing... ]
rg

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2012, 10:25am

Rob,

I think if you choose mid rail for Vb1 and Vb2 then M8 and M5 will both be on and there is a +ve loop gain in your adaptive biasing circuit with those two guys on. I think you are losing control of such loop if both are on

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2012, 12:16pm

HdrChopper wrote on Mar 15th, 2012, 10:25am:
Rob,

I think if you choose mid rail for Vb1 and Vb2 then M8 and M5 will both be on and there is a +ve loop gain in your adaptive biasing circuit with those two guys on. I think you are losing control of such loop if both are on

You may very well be correct as I haven't tried it. I don't think there's a problem with them both being on. It looks to me like there will be a steady state operating point where the "catch" devices have the same current density as the diff-pair devices. For example, if the gates of M5, M8 and M1-M4 are all tied to midrail, then Vgs5+Vsg8 = Vgs1+Vsg3 so all of the devices will be biased at 2*IR2/3. -- I guess that would make the gm not-quite constant if both M5 and M8 are on, but other than that I think the operating point is defined.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2012, 12:54pm

Rob,

I think you are correct. I've seen this one with ratios higher than 1:1 in the adaptive biasing loop, in which case then I think I would be correct. But that ration being 1:1 I guess is safe and would operate as you pointed out.
Not sure how mismatches would play a role here if you bias everything at mid rail though. I'm think what if, instead of the ideal 1:1 ratio, you get 1:1.01...slowing drifting to rails?

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.