The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 29th, 2024, 1:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about deterministic jitter (Read 3701 times)
busoni

Question about deterministic jitter
Mar 22nd, 2012, 9:34am

Hello everyone! I am designing a CDR for a 5Gbps SERDES and I cannot figure out how to model deterministic jitter for my testbenches. From literature I've seen that the Dual Dirac model is applied. But if my jitter model applies jitter in the Dual Dirac fashion on each data-UI, the CDR cannot lock. So, should I let jitter take all values between the Dual Dirac edges? I mean, isn't this more "realistic"?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Question about deterministic jitter
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2012, 2:49pm

Care to explain whats going on here?
I have designed a lot of CDR systems and SerDes devices
and I have no idea what  you are talking about.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
busoni

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2012, 7:40am

During design spec I had to make a jitter budget. This defines the worst case eye closure in the CDR inputs. Eye closure is due to both random and deterministic jitter.

Now, I have to model random and deterministic jitter for simulations. I use Verilog-A and model random jitter as a normal distribution. For deterministic jitter I use a uniform distribution from which I randomly select the peak values(i.e. Dj_max or -Dj_max). Both jitter values are added per UI in the CDR data input thus closing the data eye.

Problem is that by adding +/-Dj in each UI, the CDR loop cannot track the input signal. That is why I wonder if I should use all intermediate values between [-Dj_max, Dj_max] and not just the peak ones.
I hope it's clear now Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2012, 12:50pm

You need to improve your definition of jitter here.

Most of them are going to be be random in nature and spread in a gaussian manner.

What you are describing sounds like you are jumping from min to max of the extremes of some jitter constant.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
BackerShu
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2012, 10:34pm

CDR system's jitter includes random jitter and deterministic jitter; yet, when we talk about this, we are thinking about the recovered clock or data, which are outputs of the CDR.

For the input of CDR, I cannot see any necessity to put the "deterministic jitter" (which is not a right way to define DJ, I just use your terms).  I think we just need to put random data, or PRBS data as usually the input of a CDR circuit, with some Gaussian distributed noise as loose-electron mentioned.

Correct me if I am not right.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.