The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone know about how to observe the eye diagram by Cadence spectre simulation (Read 3511 times)
henrytqy

Anyone know about how to observe the eye diagram by Cadence spectre simulation
Apr 01st, 2012, 12:05am

I am now designing a LA(Limiting Amplifier), and I want to see the eye diagram by simulation, but I don't know how?

Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Anyone know about how to observe the eye diagram by Cadence spectre simulation
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:23am

Many waveform viewing tools include a feature to take the output of a simple transient and present it as an eye diagram.  (They split up the waveform into sections and translate them back to the origin.)  Check the documentation for your viewer.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
henrytqy

Re: Anyone know about how to observe the eye diagram by Cadence spectre simulation
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:23pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:23am:
Many waveform viewing tools include a feature to take the output of a simple transient and present it as an eye diagram.  (They split up the waveform into sections and translate them back to the origin.)  Check the documentation for your viewer.

Thanks, I have found the way. There is a function eyediagram in the calculator of Cadence spectre.

May I ask an other Q?

Since my input signal is a RBS(random bit stream), I was reqired to set the period, rise-time,fall-time,delay.
For example, in the codition T=50ps,Trise=1ps,Tfall=1ps, I wiil see a very large overshoot.Should I owed this to  the too-short Trise and Tfall, or  my ckt?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 5:38am

You can easily get overshoot from dv/dt feed-through of capacitors -- if your input rises quickly, and there is a capacitance (CGDO, for example) from the input to the output, that capacitance looks like a short for very fast signals / high frequencies.

You could perhaps add some series resistance to cut the feed-through.

Tfall/trise are too short for your circuit, but you'd have to look at the design specifications to know whether your circuit is poorly designed or whether you have chosen times that are faster than the required specifications.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.