The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 30th, 2024, 9:26pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MOS aspect retio less than 1 (Read 13003 times)
mixed_signal

MOS aspect retio less than 1
Apr 04th, 2012, 4:36pm

HI,

I am designing a 5T diff pair where I can use only 200nA for the current source. I want to keep the input diff pair in weak inversion for high gm and the loads and current source in strong  inversion.

At such low current the aspect ratio of the transsitors in strong inversion  is <1 approx. 1/5. Is it a problem?

I have 2 options:

1. Put all in weak inversion. Problem is current mirror mismatch and offset.

2. Put input pair in weak inversion. All others in strong inversion but with aspect ratio <1 approx. 1/5

Which is better?

What is the maximum L/W ratio without any issue?

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: MOS aspect retio less than 1
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012, 12:13am

You could check your foundry's documentation to see what lengths and widths are covered by the transistor models.
If you're going to work in the uA domain it is fairly normal to have l>w. I've been using up to 1/10 without any problems on several processes. Just make sure your width is a good amount larger than the minimum width of the transistor since you're using it for analog. A bit of trust in your PDK models is okay, but too much can be fatal Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012, 5:57am

Thank you Lex!
I want a ratio of 1/20. My minimum width allowed is 160nm and length is 120nm. I am using width=500nm and length 10um. Is that OK for analog?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2012, 6:08pm

mixed_signal wrote on Apr 5th, 2012, 5:57am:
Thank you Lex!
I want a ratio of 1/20. My minimum width allowed is 160nm and length is 120nm. I am using width=500nm and length 10um. Is that OK for analog?

Thanks!

W=0.5um is fine. I'm using W=1um, L=40um for a similar amp right now. You might have to go longer than 10um to get the 1/f noise down.  

I would expect (but do not know) that dummy devices are especially important for such narrow widths.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2012, 8:12pm

Hi RobG,

Thank you for your relpy!

I want to find the integrated noise at the Vref of my temperature sensor. What should be my frequency range over I should integrate? My sensor will be followed by sigma delta. The sensor should give 1 reading per minute.

I integrated from 1/60 Hz till flicker corner =10KHz and it was 6 uV.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2012, 3:34am

mixed_signal wrote on Apr 6th, 2012, 8:12pm:
Hi RobG,

I want to find the integrated noise at the Vref of my temperature sensor. What should be my frequency range over I should integrate? My sensor will be followed by sigma delta. The sensor should give 1 reading per minute.
Thanks!

Set the expected load and integrate the noise to infinity, i.e. increase the upper frequency bound until the noise value stops to increase.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2012, 12:52am

RobG wrote on Apr 6th, 2012, 6:08pm:

I would expect (but do not know) that dummy devices are especially important for such narrow widths.

Agreed. My advice would be to place dummy transistors of 1 um wide next to them to get a good poly and STI profile. And by construction you don't suffer from WPE.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2012, 12:27pm

mixed_signal wrote on Apr 6th, 2012, 8:12pm:
Hi RobG,

Thanks!

ms... I think the proper way is to find the noise power density VN2() over the interval that you care about (say 1/(1 year) to 100 MHz) and then multiply by the frequency response (squared) of the sigma-delta, then integrate the product. You'll find the lower bound of integration isn't important after some point so maybe 1/(1 hour) is low enough frequency.

I'm not sure how to get the sigma-delta frequency response in the calculator. Maybe you could do something like VN2()*(sin(f)/f)^2. Alternatively, you could derive what the effective bandwidth is to the first zero, and then just integrate VN2() out to that voltage.

Let me know if you get a definitive answer!
Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2012, 5:29pm

Hi RobG,

Quote:
You'll find the lower bound of integration isn't important after some point so maybe 1/(1 hour) is low enough frequency.

Actually I've always kind of wondered about this point. Is the lower bound set by how long you expect the device to be turned on for?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2012, 6:28pm

aaron_do wrote on Apr 10th, 2012, 5:29pm:
Actually I've always kind of wondered about this point. Is the lower bound set by how long you expect the device to be turned on for?

Yes, according to my 30 year old Grey/Meyer text anyway: "... the lower limit of the integration must be specified by the period of observation."

The text then gives two examples of lower integration limits on a noise problem for perspective:  
1 cycle/day:  Vnoise = 1.75 uV
1 cycle/year: Vnoise = 1.90 uV

For fun I tried the age of the universe (1 cycle/13.75 billion years) and came up with 2.4uV. I'd put a large error band around that number though  ;D

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2012, 10:10pm

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I did transient simulation of BJT based bandgap where i applied a fast ramp Vdd (0 to 1.2 v in 50ns). I have designed for PTAT current =150nA @25C. Simulations show that after 50us current in one branch exactly becomes 150n but current in another branch oscillates from 144n to 157n as shown in fig (attached). Is it a stability problem? The opamp loop through stb analysis shows phase margin of 60 degree.

Thanks

1.png  

1.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2012, 12:58am

Your screenshot is not detailed enough for me to be sure, but this could also be trapezoidal ringing, which is a simulation artifact (see http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1101285512).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2012, 1:05am

RobG wrote on Apr 10th, 2012, 6:28pm:
aaron_do wrote on Apr 10th, 2012, 5:29pm:

Yes, according to my 30 year old Grey/Meyer text anyway: "... the lower limit of the integration must be specified by the period of observation."

The text then gives two examples of lower integration limits on a noise problem for perspective:  
1 cycle/day:  Vnoise = 1.75 uV
1 cycle/year: Vnoise = 1.90 uV

For fun I tried the age of the universe (1 cycle/13.75 billion years) and came up with 2.4uV. I'd put a large error band around that number though  ;D

This noise at very low frequencies is often also called drift.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2012, 9:32am

mixed_signal... something doesn't add up... one leg can't be oscillating and the other constant as the total current must remain the same (kirkoff's current law).

Someone posted a similar mysterious oscillation a few weeks ago and it turned out to be ringing in the bias current generator, not the opamp.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2012, 12:25pm

Hi RobG,
I chose the conservative option in the transient analysis window and it fixed the problem. I think it is a numerical error.

However I am worried of the initial spike. The stb analysis of the loop shows a phase margin of 60 degree and gain margin of 3 db. Is gain margin insufficient?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.