The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 31st, 2024, 7:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cascode current mirror (Read 3539 times)
Gil

Cascode current mirror
Apr 07th, 2012, 2:43am

I'm trying to figure out how cascode current mirror works.
I've serached it all over the web and haven't found an answer.

The diode connection sets: Vgs1 = Vgs3 = Vds1 = Vds3
(given that all the transistors are the same).

Given the current source's value, I can calculate Vgs1 = Vgs3 = Vds1 = Vds3 = Vgs2.

How can I now determine the current in the right branch (through N2, N4) ?
I've read that I can assume the voltage over N2 is constant. Why is that? how does that assist me to find the current in the right branch?

Thanks !!!

cascode.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Cascode current mirror
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2012, 7:10am

Hi,

the currents through n2 and n4 must be equal. Ask yourself what would happen if the drain voltage of n2 were less than the drain voltage of n1. Would the currents through n2 and n4 still be equal?

Essentially, the cascode makes the current mirror insensitive to the output voltage which is equivalent to saying that the output impedance is very large, or di/dv is very small.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Gil

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2012, 3:39am

Aaron, thank you for your reply.

I'm not following you.
What am I missing here?

Correct me if I'm wrong -
let's assume VDS1 = VDS3 = VGS1 = VGS3 = 2V.
Take VD2 = 1V.
All I know now is that VDS2 + VGS4 = 4V, since VG4 = 4V.

What can I infer about the the current through N2, N4 (which is the same)?

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2012, 8:29am

Think of this qualitatively before jumping to equations.

We know that the bottom transistors (M1/M2) have equal Vgs so the currents in the two branches are equal to a first order (ignoring channel length modulation).  The currents are exactly equal when Vgs1=Vgs2 AND Vds1=Vds2.  If there is a Vds mismatch then you will have unequal currents.

The purpose of M4 is to more or less fix the drain voltage of M2 so that M2 will see less current variation if the output voltage (bottom of resistor) varies.  Since VG4 is fixed, VS4 is more or less fixed even with variations in VD4 voltage, assuming saturation region of operation.

You can see all this working by running a quick DC simulation, drive VD4 with a voltage source and sweep from 0 to VDD, do it with and without the cascode and compare the output current curves.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2012, 6:29pm

Hi Gil,

following your math, lets let VD2=1V. Also, VD4 is determined by the load of the current mirror, so lets say for example, that VD4 = 4V. Now VGS4=3V, and VDS4=3V while VGS2=2V, and VDS2=1V. Clearly this is an impossible situation since based on the voltage, N4 should be passing a much larger current than N2. The only way this would work is if VD2 increases to 2V. Then VGS2=VGS4=2V, and VDS2=VDS4=2V. Also, in this situation, the same current flows through N2 as N1.

That was obvioulsy a simply example, but what if VD,n4 is equal to 3V? Well, again, the current through N4= that through N2, so in order to get the same current, the drain of N4 might reduce to 1.9V so that VGS2=2V, VDS2=1.9V, VGS4=2.1V, and VDS4=1.1V. Remember that a MOSFET's current is less sensitive to VDS than VGS. So in this situation, the VDS of N2 decreased from 2V to 1.9V. So the current is quite close to that through N1.

Take the case without the cascode, if VDS1=2V, and VDS2=3V, the difference in current could be quite great.

hope it helps,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.