The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
50 ohm filter, DC to light (Read 3184 times)
rpaulsen

50 ohm filter, DC to light
Apr 09th, 2012, 4:17pm

I need to design a bandpass filter with 50 ohm input and output impedance.  This would be a simple task except that I need the input and output impedance to be 50 ohms in the passband AND in the stopband.

Most of the bandpass filters I've designed in the past have a very low impedance at frequencies below the passband and a very high impedance at frequencies above the passband.  Has anyone seen any design material on matching the stopband of a filter to 50 ohms?  I'm sure this is going to be very challenging because the impedance swings all over the Smith Chart.  Can anyone help?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: 50 ohm filter, DC to light
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2012, 5:33pm

Try reading up on "Absorptive Filters". I think there are a few papers on IEEE. Also, you can imagine that it can be done using a filter, and a pair of isolators.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2012, 4:51pm

rpaulson,

The simplest way but higher component count would be to design a triplexor where the stop bands are pass bands to unused paths simply terminated with 50 Ohm resistors.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2012, 5:27pm

Hi rfcooltools,

by a triplexor, you mean like a duplexor except with one more output right? Like this one...

http://www.tycc.cn/pics/new/1225336574.pdf

If so, how is that easy to design for 50-ohm broadband matching? To my knowledge, duplexors only pass two specific bands, so there is still a huge bandwidth that is unmatched.

Picking up on your idea though, I guess you could design a bandpass filter and a notch filter parallel, and terminate the notch filter in 50-ohm...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2012, 9:39pm

Aaron,

Duplexor is a nomenclature intended to mean talking and listening simultaneously where as a diplexer is to frequency separated combination of two bands.  A duplexor in cell phones for example is a type of diplexor. Combining a type of low pass and a highpass to create a three port is a diplexor where the common port see the response of both filters and one port observes the response of the low pass and the other the highpass.  A triplexor is to combine three filters separated in frequency.

Yes, its a four port with one common, one low pass only for match, one high-pass only for match and one band-pass as the desired.  

The link you put in your post is a type of triplexor but it is made up of three bandpass filters where as what I am talking about is wider in bandwidth.  Consider this link to demonstrate.

http://productfinder.pulseeng.com/product/C6178NL

click on data sheet and look at the return loss characteristics.

I hope that clarifies

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2012, 2:07am

Hi rfcooltools,

thanks for the information. I see what you mean now.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.