The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS+PAC analysis for current-mode circuit in Cadence (Read 9982 times)
ranran

PSS+PAC analysis for current-mode circuit in Cadence
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:45pm

I am trying to simulate a current-mode mixer which simply consists of quad switching pairs. At first I used isource at the input. But when I want simulate the mixer's distortion performances, e.g. IIP2, IIP3.. with SpectreRF, I need to replace isource with power based PORTs. The problem is my circuit input is driven by current, and I need to fill in voltage magnitude or power magnitude to PORT's properties. Has anyone got experience on how to use PORTs, and PSS together with PAC for current commutating circuits?

Many thanks~

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: PSS+PAC analysis for current-mode circuit in Cadence
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2012, 4:15am

You do not have to use "ports" for the intermodulation simulations. Just set up the simulation and make your own measurements plotting output versus input. Nearly any transient simulation setup will also work for PSS/PAC.

The direct plot functions are just scripts for making measurements, so don't let it limit your ability to make whatever measurements you want or need to make.

View Profile   IP Logged
ranran

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2012, 2:12am

Thank you very much, RFICDUDE.

I know that since my communication signal is just current, I dont need 'port' for the simulation. The thing i am confused is that when I want to plot IPN curves in PAC analysis and do the input signal sweep, the input is assumed by default in dBm. isource is not able to provide power amplitude.. I know that it is quite trivial, but I would really appreciate it if you can give me some suggestions, since I am new to it.

Thank you very much Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2012, 4:30am

I suppose you could fake out the tool by creating a PORT to current converter.

1. Take a 50 ohm port and simply load it with a 50 ohm resistor.

2. Take a current controlled current source (CCCS) and put the input in series with the port/resistor network (this samples a current that is dependent on the port source).

3. Now use the output of the cccs to drive the input of your circuit.

If the approach works for you then you can, if you wish, set the gain of the cccs such that the dBm input power sweep is translated to some convenient level of input current. A convenient conversion might be 0dBm available RF input power delivered to the 50 ohm input load is equal to 0 dBi in current (I'll let you figure out the gain to do this conversion).

Good luck

View Profile   IP Logged
ranran

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2012, 12:15pm

Hi, RFICDUDE, appreciate your help.

I tried it according to your suggestion (attached here). dont know if I understand correctly..

As for the gain of CCCS to do the conversion of available RF input power to 0 dBi in input current, i think it's related to the impedance match.. so the gain needs to be sqrt(50/Zin). Am I correct?

One more question about the output current signal, how am I supposed to convert it to output 'power'? The result is not correct if I use terminal choice in QPAC analysis to plot IIP3. should I convert it to voltage signal and use Net (dB, 1 ohm reference) choice?

Thank you very much.

cccs.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2012, 4:33am

I'll mention (again) that you can avoid all of this hassle of trying to fit your circuit in a RF 50 ohm input/output port simulation box by just thinking about what it is you need to simulate and then set up the simulation to do it.
You can do a lot of straightforward input/output sweeps by just using the parametric analysis tool rather than relying on the built in sweeps and direct plot functions.

You don't need to do impedance matching because you are sampling current in the fake input circuit to produce a proportional current in the real circuit.

0 dBm delivered to a 50 ohm load produces 0.316 V / 50 ohms = 6.32 mA or - 43.98 dBi.

I assume you would like 0 dBm to be some convenient relation to dBi. Maybe 0dBm = -40dBi ? In this case you need the cccs to have a current gain of  -40 - (-43.98) = 3.98 dB or 1.581 A/A.
Be sure to verify that I did the math correctly.

For the output you can use a similar trick as the input, but in reverse. You sample your output current (using a series 0V voltage source). Then use a cccs with a gain of 1 V/V and place the output across series a 50 ohm resistor. Ground one node and call the out node the output. I guess the values in the fake output don't really matter that much because you are trying to find the input referred linearity; although, you really do want to be able to probe the actual input/output currents and voltages in order to understand what is limiting the linearity in your circuit.

*** Be very careful not to change the loading of the output when sampling the output current. If you reduce the loading on the output then the output swing will not be correct and the output linearity will also be incorrect. So just make sure you voltage and current swings are all the same before and after using the added input/output circuits.

View Profile   IP Logged
ranran

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2012, 6:07am

Thanks for your reply, RFICDUDE.

What I really want to do is to digitally calibrate IIP2 of the mixer, so I really care about the exact IIP2 after each calibration step. In this case, if I avoid this hassle and do the parametric analysis, sweep the input current, and do not rely on the direct plot function, I need to calculate IIP2 from the plot by myself. I guess it is doable by writing the script or something? I am not sure about that since I really have few experience on it Embarrassed I am struggling on which way to choose (changing input/output according to your instruction but not sure if it is the exact IIP2 or writing script to calculate IIP2).

By the way, you mentioned dBi in your previous answers.. isn't it referred to the gain of an antenna compared with isotropic antenna? Does it have other meaning here? It seems to be 10log(i^2) from your calculation, but what is it? I dont really get it here.

Thank you again for your help Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2012, 6:03pm

Ok, I guess we've got a slight communication breakdown here.

I have been assuming, from your previous posts, that you have a current mode input circuit and you are just trying to find a way to make the built in sweeps work with your circuit. But you are also saying, now, that you need to know the true IIP2 for your calibration routine.

Voltages and currents at any particular point in a system can always be related to the signal at a control impedance (i.e. 50 ohm or whatever) point in the system (LNA or amplifier input for a receiver). So what you need to know is where is the control impedance point of your system and how does it relate to the current that is driving the input of your current mode circuit. You really need to define this first to understand what to do to present the correct level signals to your circuit and interpret the linearity results.

dBi is 20log10(abs(I))

I may have a slight rounding error in the current.

View Profile   IP Logged
ranran

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2012, 5:02am

Hi, I've decided to adopt your suggestion to simplify everything by just sweeping the input and use Ocean Script for the spec calculation. I think it is the most straightforward way^_^

Thanks again for your help during these days, RFICDUDE!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.