The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 1st, 2024, 9:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does vgs-vth for optimum (gm/Id)*ft vary as technology gets smaller (Read 4169 times)
Larry_80
Community Member

How does vgs-vth for optimum (gm/Id)*ft vary as technology gets smaller
May 08th, 2012, 9:14pm

Hello All,
Does the vgs-vth for optimum FOM =  (gm/Id)*ft  get larger as technology size decreases? And also, do i have to characterize this FOM for both NMOS and PMOS or i can just do for one and use for sizing my transistors?

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: How does vgs-vth for optimum (gm/Id)*ft vary as technology gets smaller
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2012, 5:17am

Well! I would expect the Vgs-Vth optimum numbers to scale down as well because there is a dependence on "beta", the current gain factor which scales with technology.

However, I am not sure if you can actually operate your FET at the optimal Vgs-Vth. I noticed already in very old technologies that the current density gets so high at this point that you would have all sorts of problems getting the required amount of current into the transistor.

In older processes, people sometimes looked away if they were doing this for a handful of FETs. In the new ones, electromigration might make or break your design. At any rate, you will probably need a customized layout of your device.

Why do you ask by the way? Are you trying to decide on the technology to use?

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2012, 10:06am

Doesn't the optimum gm/Id occur for small Vgs-Vt?, i.e.  lowest current density? The problem I run into is leakage current, especially at hot temperatures.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012, 8:29pm

Hi Rob, I think you missed the *ft part of the FOM.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2012, 5:53am

and I missed the (gm/Id) part of the question, looking only at fT...

I guess if you are trying to look at both (gm/Id) which gets maximized for low Vgs-Vth and fT, which gets maximized at higher Vgs-Vth, then you might end up with reasonable Vgs-Vth at the end. So my comment about it being difficult to drive in that much current may not hold.

As to whether the optimum scales with technology, I would expect so for the reasons outlined earlier.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2012, 9:57am

ACWWong wrote on May 10th, 2012, 8:29pm:
Hi Rob, I think you missed the *ft part of the FOM.

I did miss that. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2012, 9:18pm

vivkr wrote on May 14th, 2012, 5:53am:
and I missed the (gm/Id) part of the question, looking only at fT...

I guess if you are trying to look at both (gm/Id) which gets maximized for low Vgs-Vth and fT, which gets maximized at higher Vgs-Vth, then you might end up with reasonable Vgs-Vth at the end. So my comment about it being difficult to drive in that much current may not hold.

As to whether the optimum scales with technology, I would expect so for the reasons outlined earlier.

Vivek

My experience in the technologies its usually at a quite low overdrive, but as you say its technology dependant, but also dependant to the particular device type and sizes you're looking to use.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.