The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why phase noise, why not frequency noise?? (Read 208 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
why phase noise, why not frequency noise??
May 12th, 2012, 10:56am

dear all,
can any one please tell me why people are so interested  in phase noise, why not frequency noise? I guess 2nd order or higher order plls lock the phase so frequency will be constant and so it wont fluctuate but phase may still fluctuate. am i correct...any kind of view will be appreciated..

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: why phase noise, why not frequency noise??
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2012, 5:51pm

If the phase is shifting, then I think the instantaneous frequency must be shifting too...probably in answer to your question, phase noise just sounds more cool.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2012, 12:27am

hello,
it didn't understand why phase shift means frequency shift? For example assume pll locked and just phase got shifted....

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2012, 1:01am

Frequency is the instantaneous derivative of phase, so if there is noise in the phase then there is noise in the frequency. Since they are so closely related, you are free to use either to describe your situation. As to why the term phase noise is more common that frequency noise, I am not sure. It is likely historical. It is clearly an electrical engineering convention. I have mentioned it to physicists occasionally, and they are largely unfamiliar with the term but very familiar with the phenomenon. They generally refer to phase noise in oscillators as linewidth.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2012, 10:34am

Forum Administrator wrote on May 14th, 2012, 1:01am:
Frequency is the instantaneous derivative of phase, so if there is noise in the phase then there is noise in the frequency. Since they are so closely related, you are free to use either to describe your situation. As to why the term phase noise is more common that frequency noise, I am not sure. It is likely historical. It is clearly an electrical engineering convention. I have mentioned it to physicists occasionally, and they are largely unfamiliar with the term but very familiar with the phenomenon. They generally refer to phase noise in oscillators as linewidth.

-Ken

The "phase noise" term got glued to this based upon the use of PLL's in the timing recovery process.
(disk drives, modem's and other comm signal processing stuff) - the "phase relationship" between data and PLL clock and eye diagrams caused that .

The "line width" term (have not heard that one in a long time) I believe comes from looking at spectral spreading of a single tone on a spectrum analyzer.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
biff44

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2012, 10:54am

There actually are both types of noise.  You use the one that is most pertinent to your system design.  If you have a QPSK radio system, then phase noise most effectively describes the amount of angular noise you would have in the QPSK decision plane.

If you have an FM radio, frequency noise in hz rms might be a more meaningful measurement.

The measurement methods are different.

In general, high phase noise also means high frequency noise, so they are similar.  And since frequency is the integral of phase, they are related closely.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2013, 2:59am

Its called phase noise because for V(t)=A(t).Sin(B(t)), “phase noise” are those real voltage/power measured signals in V(t) entirely generated from the B(t) bit, regardless as to whether its frequency or phrase originating in the B(t) bit. Everything in the Sin() bracket is phase in radians, i.e. unitless. Its relevant because any system can, ideally, be set up to ignore either the A(t) bit or the B(t) bit. Hence the value of errors in A(t) or B(t) are of interest, but not, usually, both. The fundamental bit to understanding “phase noise” is that it can be shown that, if A(t) is ignorable, the RATIO of AMPLITUDES of  the relevant frequency signals in V(t), in VOLTS or WATTS, is EQUAL to the phase error bit of B(t), in RADIANS.   Technically, there is no such thing as phase power (PSD), because phase is unitless!. http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/phasenoise/PhaseNoiseTutorial.xht

Kevin Aylward
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.