The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 1st, 2024, 1:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Sense amplifier design (Read 938 times)
Larry_80
Community Member

Current Sense amplifier design
May 21st, 2012, 9:10am

Hello Guys,
Please i need help in designing a current sense amplifier. Pls find attached is the schematic. During a read, the read current is lets say Iread=10uA.
So the differential current Idl-Idlb should be 10uA. I am operating at low voltages and transistors M2 and M4 are always in Linear region since ysel="vdd" during sense amp operation.
My problem is this: I cannot get the differential voltage Vdl-Vdlb to be more than about 5mV during a read operation (Iread=10uA). I tried increasing the DC current in both branches and i always still get only the 5mV differential voltage (Vdl-Vdlb). Please note during read, i attach a current source of 10uA from Vbl to ground (in that direction) in my simulation.

Does anyone know what region of operation the transistors should be in during reset phase (No read current)  and during the read phase? I am not sure if there is such a requirement.

Ps: I am desperately seeking a methodical approach to design this ckt, and haven't been successful in finding any literature that highlights a method.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2012, 12:17pm by Larry_80 »  

analysis.gif
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Current Sense amplifier design
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2012, 6:06pm

disclaimer: I've never designed a current sense amplifier before Cheesy

When you pump in the 10uA current, what are the DC voltages Vdl and Vdlb? If they are both low, then probably your circuit it too big.

BTW, are the cross coupled PMOS devices a latch? If so, and if both Vdl and Vdlb are high, then maybe your latch just isn't strong enough.

Actually its a little tough to debug without some actual voltages in the circuit.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pixel

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2012, 12:10am

I think you should try different architecture. Diode connected NMOS  at the bottom do not allow voltage difference.  

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2012, 10:17am by pixel »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012, 8:26am

They are actually N MOSFETS, i just used jfet symbol for illustration sorry Smiley. Apparently all the xstors must remain in saturation for the amplifier to work like it should.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2012, 1:27pm

tell us what you are trying to do.

Not the circuits you are thinking of using.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.