The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
different types of tiedown rules are very confusing (Read 8648 times)
peterki

different types of tiedown rules are very confusing
May 30th, 2012, 2:09pm

Hi there is an excellent discussion on tiedown diodes in
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1141663850/1#1.

Smiley

However, I can't find the information I needed in that discussion. There are a number of tie down rules in IBM 130 nm process.

1. why n-well needs to be tied down? I know the gate needs tie-down because the thin oxide might be damaged. However I don't understand why n-well needs tie down.

2. what is pTiedown meant for? a pTiedown is p+ diffusion to n-well. However in fabrication, n-well is not connected to any voltage.

3. how p-mos gate is protected? what tiedown diode should be used?

I really appreciate anyone can share some experience on this topic.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: different types of tiedown rules are very confusing
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 2:51pm

1. why n-well needs to be tied down? I know the gate needs tie-down because the thin oxide might be damaged. However I don't understand why n-well needs tie down.

2. what is pTiedown meant for? a pTiedown is p+ diffusion to n-well. However in fabrication, n-well is not connected to any voltage.

You are trying to control the voltage of what is on top of the gate oxide (the gate itself) and whats under the gate oxide (namely the n-well bulk under PMOS transistors, or simply the substrate bulk under the NMOS transistor)

Adding to the confusion on antenna effects and similar - sometime there are tie downs specificed for situations that happen during the foundry process and certain fabrication layers are not yet in place.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
peterki

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 5:06pm

thanks for the reply.

My guess is that it is important to control the voltage of n-well during fabrication. The tie-down diode is a leakage path for n-well. In case too much voltage is incurred, the tie-down diode releases the charges, to protect the pmos gate oxide.

loose-electron wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012, 2:51pm:

You are trying to control the voltage of what is on top of the gate oxide (the gate itself) and whats under the gate oxide (namely the n-well bulk under PMOS transistors, or simply the substrate bulk under the NMOS transistor)

Adding to the confusion on antenna effects and similar - sometime there are tie downs specificed for situations that happen during the foundry process and certain fabrication layers are not yet in place.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012, 9:45pm

thats not a guess, that is actually correct.

I was part of IBM's semiconductors group at a design center out here in San Diego and was very involved
in creating the CMOS RF processes and several of the SiGe processes.

Their semiconductor modeling is pretty good quality.

Jerry Twomey
peterki

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012, 7:10am

Thanks a lot for sharing your industry experience.

Now I know how to protect nmos gate (N+/sub contact), pmos N-well (N+/sub contact outside of the n-well). This also goes to MIM capacitor. Diode protection is required in MIM.

I am wondering if it is necessary to protect the pmos gate using tieDown diode. What diode should be used to do so?

loose-electron wrote on Jun 5th, 2012, 9:45pm:
thats not a guess, that is actually correct.

I was part of IBM's semiconductors group at a design center out here in San Diego and was very involved
in creating the CMOS RF processes and several of the SiGe processes.

Their semiconductor modeling is pretty good quality.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2012, 1:11pm

peterki wrote on Jun 6th, 2012, 7:10am:
Thanks a lot for sharing your industry experience.

Now I know how to protect nmos gate (N+/sub contact), pmos N-well (N+/sub contact outside of the n-well). This also goes to MIM capacitor. Diode protection is required in MIM.

I am wondering if it is necessary to protect the pmos gate using tieDown diode. What diode should be used to do so?

If it is not on the foundry provided design rules you don't need to do it. Frequently there are lithography steps that will deal with things that you are not directly defining.

If they don't request PMOS gate ties (which would be to the N-well to control gate to bulk potential) you do not need it.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.