The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 26th, 2024, 11:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stability Analysis of a feedback loop (Read 10133 times)
shivamm

Stability Analysis of a feedback loop
Jun 07th, 2012, 8:20am

Hello,

I am designing a system with feedback and the system oscillates when I do a transient analysis. All the individual blocks(A1 through A5) are stable when tested individually. RC1 and RC2 are just resistor-capacitor networks.

I tried using the stb analysis tool, however, that requires positioning of the probe such that all the loops are broken which is not possible in my case. Is there any other way to test it?

Is there a way to find/plot the phase and gain(output vs input) of each block in the system? If so, what is the tool?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Stability Analysis of a feedback loop
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2012, 10:22am

The most logical way is to plot the loop gain (magnitude and phase) and to check the stability criterion.
Because your loop has some nodes with very low output resistances (e.g. output A3 which is a follower) it is not a problem to open the loop without considering the load at the opening.
To keep the operating point (dc feedback) I suggest to connect the load at the A3 output through a huge inductance (100 H) and to inject a test signal of 1 volt (ac simulation) via a large capacitor (100 F) behind the inductance. Don`t forget to ground the "normal" signal input.
The ouput of A3 gives you with very good accuracy the loop gain response.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2012, 11:43am

hello,
please understand that inner loop's and outer loop has to be stable.

You can place Iprobe at any place, if you want to analyses circuit  manually then between break at high impedance point for example output of A1 .

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
shivamm

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2012, 2:34pm

1. After running stability analysis, I found that the system is unstable.
Even though ALL the inner loops are stable, the outer feedback loop is oscillating. Is there a way to find out what(component) is making the system unstable?

2. When I increase the resistance of the resistor(by a factor of 100) connecting the output of A3 to the input of A4, the system is stable and does not oscillate. I am looking for a better solution.  Any suggestions?

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2012, 4:07pm

Ok - First, you put up a schematic (nice).
Second, it's complicated - any first order analysis of what it's supposed to do??  Relative gains, BW ?

Finally, your premise that you cannot break the loop for STB is wrong.
The output of A2 or A3 look like good candidates.  And it would be more accurate than using inductors like other suggested on here.

With basic analysis of the pieces should do, and then the Loop response, you should be able to compare and tell discrepancies.

Wave

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2012, 12:12am

shivamm wrote on Jun 7th, 2012, 2:34pm:
1. After running stability analysis, I found that the system is unstable.
Even though ALL the inner loops are stable, the outer feedback loop is oscillating. Is there a way to find out what(component) is making the system unstable?

2. When I increase the resistance of the resistor(by a factor of 100) connecting the output of A3 to the input of A4, the system is stable and does not oscillate. I am looking for a better solution.  Any suggestions?

At first, it is really no surprise that the loop is unstable - because of the various opamps and RC elements connected in a loop.
Nevertheless, if the magnitude ofthe loop gain is small enough it can be stable - as demonstrated by you (increased resistor value between A3 and A4). You ask for a "better solution",
Why do you think this is a bad solution?
It is quite normal in such a case either to reduce the loop gain (that`s what you did) or to increase the loop phase (for example by incorporating a PDT1/lead-lag controller).
But in any case - as I have suggested - check the loop gain in order to see what must be done to arive at the wanted phase margin.
And show us the simulation results!
Don`t forget to include an inductor at the output of A3. Otherwise your dc operating point is lost! I cannot understand why the former reply (wave) argues against it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2012, 2:28am

You could try adding a left half plane zeros to your circuit, for example by placing a capacitor in parallel to the resistor between A3 and A4. If you do the root locus analysis you should see the poles being pulled to the left.

Don't forget to add a load to the output of your circuit. It can change the loopgain as well.

Another thing: input of A3 has a floating resistor for DC towards VDC1. How do you know A3 is correctly biased?

Oh and it would helpful for the discussion if you name your devices as well, and provide some AC plots.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2012, 3:37am

Lex wrote on Jun 8th, 2012, 2:28am:
Another thing: input of A3 has a floating resistor for DC towards VDC1. How do you know A3 is correctly biased?

I don`t expect any bias problem, because the non-inv. A3 input is connected to another opamp output.
However, this is one of the reasons the loop must remain closed for dc.
Thus, opening the loop is allowed only for ac signals which makes the inductor necessary!

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2013, 9:35am

An AC stability analysis is only a guide, and should never be relied upon. Transient runs are the ONLY way to guarantee that the circuit is stable. It is routine to have circuits that are unstable when the AC analysis says its fine. Typically this is due to what is known as a “limit cycle”. An AC analysis only does a small signal gain analysis around a fixed DC operating point. However, as signals transiently move, the operating points are different. For example, a device can go into limiting, producing a much slower time response not indicated in any AC small signal response. Even operating an amplifier at different output voltages will not cover the issue. For example, the input pair will have vastly different currents in them in transients, then when static when they are usually matched to within a few percent.

Kevin Aylward
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2013, 6:53am

Hi Kevin,

Of course, I agree to the contents of your reply - however, for the circuit under discussion i don`t expect that non-linear effects could produce some unexpected results that canot be explained based on an ac analysis.
But - as mentioned - in principle you are right in requiring a transient analysis.
As a good example for your doubts: There are some circuits that fulfill Barkhausen`s oscillation criterion (ac analysis with unity loop gain) without being able to oscillate.
However, that is no surprise knowing that Barkhausen`s condition is a necessary one only.
B.

PS: by the way - are you familiar with the application of describing functions for oscillator design?

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2013, 7:35am

Yes, I am familiar with the describing method. However, in my view, pretty much all pencil and paper methods, are essentially useless for real design for real ASIC designers. Times have simply moved on. Spice transient analysis does it all. Everything else is an approximation. I wouldn’t be so sure that you are not seeing stranger effects. As I noted, I routinely see bottoming effects causing instability, especially in the bottom transistor of a second stage cascode. It can be helpful putting a capacitor across the top transistor drain source to prevent fast transients pulling its source down, especially when the bottom transistor is a bipolar for noise reasons. Yes, I am also familiar with the common misunderstandings of stability theory. I have a tutorial on it here http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/feedbackstability/feedbackstability.html  :)

Kevin Aylward
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2013, 9:00am

Kevin - thank you for providing the link for your tutorials.
I had a short look only - and I am very happy to see that you consider the BJT as voltage controlled (in contrast to many books, which seem to know only the relation Ic=beta*Ib)
However, I am not to happy to read: "If the slope of the loop gain is -20db/dec when the loop gain finally falls to 0db, the system will be stable, and unstable if the slope is greater than -20db.

And what about 25 0r 30 dB? I do not refer to the asymptotic lines but to the real response.

More than that: Do you consider the Barkhausen criterion to be false?
(Quote: This is sometimes called the Barkhausen Criteria, and is false.)

I think, there is a common agreement that Barkhausens condition for oscillation is a necessary one only!
For my opinion, Barkhausen himself did mention this restriction in his book.

In the near future I will further go through your tutorial. (Are you interested in further comments?).

Regards
B.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2013, 9:15am

Buddypoor – Stability is usually discussed in terms of the Bode straight line approximations. By and large, most real topologies can be described by reasonably separated poles and zeros, i.e. gain boosts and gain roll-offs of 20N dBs/dec. When amplifiers are being compensated, one thinks mentally in those terms. In reality, the real spice plots are used for gain and phase.

Any books that describe the BJT as current controlled are wrong. Feel free to comment.

Kevin Aylward
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2013, 9:43am

Kevin Aylward wrote on Jul 14th, 2013, 9:15am:
Stability is usually discussed in terms of the Bode straight line approximations. By and large, most real topologies can be described by reasonably separated poles and zeros, i.e. gain boosts and gain roll-offs of 20N dBs/dec. When amplifiers are being compensated, one thinks mentally in those terms.

Yes ?  I do not. When I observe that the inverse feedback factor in the Bode plot meets the second pole (approx.) - that means between the 20dB/dec roll-off and the 40 dB/dec roll-off - I know that the phase margin is approx. 45 deg.
The straight lines in the diagram are a great help to draw the magnitude response - however, for evaluation of stability issues I strongly recommend to use - as good as possible - the real curve in between.

Kevin Aylward wrote on Jul 14th, 2013, 9:15am:
Any books that describe the BJT as current controlled are wrong.

Yes - that´s what I was saying.

B.

PS: Regarding "feel free to comment": My question was if you are interested in some comments.

Example: If there is a pole in the right half plane of LG +1, it can be shown that the impulse response of any transfer function described by LG+1, will result in an ever increasing sinusoidal response. In practice this increase will limit when the amplifier saturates at its supply rails. This results in steady state oscillations. This implies that the amplifier is analyzed such that it is reasonable linear for small signals, but can limit at large signals in a way such that this limiting does not change the small signal phase response at the limiting point.

I suppose, you speak about a complex pole pair. More than that, such a condition will not ALWAYS result - as mentioned - in steady-state oscillations. There are cases where latch-up occurs.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.