The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 9th, 2024, 8:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anti alias before strobeperiod in transient noise analysis??? (Read 3265 times)
ppg

San Jose USA
Anti alias before strobeperiod in transient noise analysis???
Jun 25th, 2012, 4:37pm

Dear all,

Busy with transient noise analysis with a fixed time step fixed at a small size like step=0.1ns, i use strobeperiod (say 200 MHz) to reduce the volume of signal data when measuring noise / phase and post processing with Matlab / Octave. Because strobeperiod is sampling signals it should be preceeded by an anti-alias filter such that noise measurements will not be loaded with HF noise folding in band ~[0.0 100MHz]. Such anti-alias filters are not preceding strobeperiod action and one should be careful when interpretating noise results after strobe period.

Does any-one have recommendation vs. the issue? Do we need anti-alias before sampling. How create anti-alias function. Any comments.

Best Regards,
ppg.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Anti alias before strobeperiod in transient noise analysis???
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2012, 1:11am

Aliasing is innate in strobing. Why are you using transient noise rather than either the noise or pnoise analyses?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ppg

San Jose USA
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2012, 1:26pm

Hi Ken,

Yes indeed,"Aliasing is innate in strobing", this was expected. Thank you for confirming.

I am simulating a detailed frac-N (AD)PLL models as combination of veriloga blocks (+ some analogs) including non-linear effects and blocks with hidden states. Thus a situation which i believe can only be analyzed using time simulations.

Regards,
ppg

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2012, 9:51am

If you use a simulator's transient noise feature, you will be simulating noise voltage as a function of time. This is fraught with difficulties and generally results in very slow simulations as you tighten tolerances into order to control errors to a reasonable level.

A better approach is to follow the recipe I outline in Predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-based frequency synthesizers. In this case you model noise as jitter (a noise in time) rather than as a voltage noise. As such, the whole issue of aliasing and trying to model and track very small and rapidly varying noise sources goes away. Instead, on each cycle you simply compute a delay with a random component so as to model jitter. Use of the event control features in Verilog-A (timer and the delay parameter to transition) allow for very accurate simulations without the need to tighten tolerances.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ppg

San Jose USA
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2012, 12:54pm

Hi Ken,

Yes, I fully understand "noise added to crossing times" is much more accurate as "noise added to voltages" and i appreciated the detailed reading of the recipe you outlined. Two remarks though:
1. The frac-N (AD)PLL I am simulating with transient noise analysis is already modelled directly in the phase domain or at jitter level (as you recommended).
2. The results from analysis, the power spectral density of the phase deviations, must be accurately plotted for offset frequency ranging from 1 KHz to 100 MHz. Expected in band phase-noise is ~-105 dBc (for 2.4GHz carrier). Simulations run 10-20 ms simtime for smooth and accurate phase noise curves down to 1KHz. Sub-sampling at 200 MHz (from 0.5ns fixed step) via strobeperiod is meant to reduce the amount of data to be enter in 10*log10(psd(.)) function.

Regards,
ppg  

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.