The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 8:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Countering memory leakage problem in Spectre PSS analysis (Read 3245 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Countering memory leakage problem in Spectre PSS analysis
Jun 29th, 2012, 8:06am

Hi,

I am running Spectre PSS with +APS option on my circuit and repeatedly running into memory leakage issues.

I would expect that the memory usage is reset at the start of each iteration in the PSS convergence process, i.e. memory used ought to be limited to mem_fixed + mem_one_or_two_PSS_iterations, but in reality, it just goes on and on filling up VM until it dies or the machine crashess.

I've tried to use the swapfile feature whereby I can write the states to disk on a regular basis. There are two problems:

1) The data are written again and again filling up the disk with several swapfiles and not just one swapfile (say the last one)

2) The swapfiles can only be written out on a periodic basis. It would have been far more sensible to have the swap files written out at the end of each PSS iteration. A swap file written in the middle of a shooting iteration is probably of limited use.

Does anybody know a good way to:

1) Stop the memory leak so that Spectre PSS simply uses memory it needs for 1-2 iterations (last state, current state),

OR

2) Get Spectre to write the swapfile at the end of each PSS iteration,

OR

3) Get Spectre to overwrite the existing swapfile and not go on filling the disk with temporary swapfiles

Note: I have already tried other methods to curb memory usage such as reducing netlist size, etc. as described in the spectre user manual.

Thanks,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Countering memory leakage problem in Spectre PSS analysis
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2012, 8:35am

I would suggest the following:

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.