The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Relating phase noise & jitter (Read 2073 times)
Sharath Raju

Relating phase noise & jitter
Jun 28th, 2012, 12:06pm

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the phase noise of a clock signal given its jitter. I have used the equation given in Hajmiri's book - The Design of Low Noise Oscillators. I have attached a snapshot of my hand calculations.

As shown in the calculations, the calculated phase noise is -67 dBc/Hz whereas the lecture slides report it to be -55 dBc/Hz.

Link to Lecture slide: https://ccnet.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/course.cgi?cc=ee315b&action=handout_download&...;
handout_id=ID131637959122829
Chapter 13, slide 12

Could you please comment on the difference ?

Thanks,
Sharath

IMG_1007_compressed.jpg
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
biff44

Re: Relating phase noise & jitter
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2012, 10:38am

Sorry, that link does not open up a lecture page.  But what you are calculating seems to be somewhat wrong.  Phase noise is a broadband noise. Phase noise is typically measured from 100 hz to 10 Mhz from the carrier, and the level at each frequency offset point varies.

So if you have a phase noise measourement, and want to turn it into rms jitter, you have to INTEGRATE it over the frequency limits of 100 Hz to 10 MHz, do a little more math, and then you have an answer.

Possibly the example you were looking at was not phase noise at all, but relating a discrete freuqency spurious sidband to the jitter that one tone would cause?

here is a spreadsheet "allan variance from phase noise" that might help your understanding:
http://www.wenzel.com/documents/spread1.htm

there are other spreadsheets out there for jitter to phase noise calculation

Rich
Maguffin Microwave

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.