The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 11:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Layout of a very long transistor (Read 2777 times)
mixed_signal

Layout of a very long transistor
Jul 19th, 2012, 2:13pm

Hi,
I have a transistor of very long length! w/l=1u/40u. How do I layout? As a single block or as a series of small transistors.

Some say series is good as it will match the models well
Some say at low currents there can be noise injection in the middle transistors in series connection.

My current level is in nanoamps. So i m confused. How do low power circuit designers do such layout?

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Re: Layout of a very long transistor
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2012, 8:42pm

Be careful with a transistor like this...  The model guys may not have characterized a structure like this and the models may not be accurate no matter how you lay it out.

I normally don't rely on anything but matching when I use devices like this.  I have only really used very long transistors in startup circuits, diode stacks, and hysteresis.

I've seen all kinds of layout for long transistors but I don't recall ever hearing of someone having an issue between silicon and simulation with the exception of the power maybe.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2012, 9:23am

Ask for guidance from your foundry on what device sizes fit the model well.  Limit your device aspect ratio to devices that fit the model.

For example, they might come back and say 1u/10u fits well but any larger L they won't guarantee.  If that's the case, use 4 1u/10u in series.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2012, 11:05am

Hi,
Thank you AnalogDE and Dan Clement! That was helpful!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.