The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 4th, 2024, 7:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comparator resolution 1.5bit/stage pipelined ADC (Read 1931 times)
medya

Comparator resolution 1.5bit/stage pipelined ADC
Aug 02nd, 2012, 3:30am

Hi,
Assume that we design a pipelined ADC with 12bit resolution ,1.5bit/stage and vref=+/-1v,how the resolution of the comparators should be set?(in first stage), assume that the offset voltage is zero.

View Profile   IP Logged
BackerShu
Community Member

Re: Comparator resolution 1.5bit/stage pipelined ADC
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:20pm

First of all, assume whose offset voltage to be 0, opamp or comparator?

As to the comparator spec., at least the followings have to be met:

1. Speed. Assume conventional sturcture, about 0.5*Ts for comparator to give correct results. Make sure comparator meets this requirement in Worst Case condition and leave some margin based on your power budget.

2. Offset. For conventional 1.5b/Stage, the maximum offset can be tolerated is +/- 0.25*Vref; Yet, we usually don't go to this extreme. 250mV offset is really big, even in CMOS.  100mV may be more paratical. Again, how much margin you can have depends on how much power can be taken by comparators.  

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
medya

Re: Comparator resolution 1.5bit/stage pipelined ADC
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 5:33am

thanks a lot BackerShu

Let me to ask my question in other form, assume we design a latched comparator, the settling time of the latch is ts=(cl/gm)*ln (vf/vin)(of course in simple form) my problem is that for truly operation if we have a few gain in preampilifier(the offset is zero!) for sizing of the latch by knowing the cl,vf,and ts we need to the vin value( this value set the minimum detectable signal by the latch ). what is this value for our design:1m,10m,100m????? Huh
in ohter words what is the resolution of the comparator  6bit,10 bit,12bit?????????????what is it Undecided???
tell me a number!
best regards,
Medya.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.