The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practical layout design: power/gnd supply, transmission signal path width? (Read 4171 times)
vivarf
Community Member

Practical layout design: power/gnd supply, transmission signal path width?
Aug 02nd, 2012, 3:35am

Hello everyone.

In some large power consumption circuits, especially Power Amplifier (PA) the current supply is quite high: 10mA ~ 100 mA. In the layout, how wide are the supply wires (vdd, gnd) to provide that current? If the supply wires are too narrow while the running current is too high, it may cause the wires burning, doesn't it? Further more, the PA should provide 10~20 dBm output signal, which also create a large number of AC current flowing in a signal path, then how large should a signal line be to transmit this current ??

The inductor also play as vdd supply for a PA and for example in 0.18 CMOS process the maximum width is 4 um. Is this wide enough to provide 10~100 mA current. To the best of my knowledge, the rule of thumb is 1 um for 1 mA. So how come people can build PA with 30 dBm output power in such process??
Could anyone provide some information? Thank you

View Profile veeater   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Practical layout design: power/gnd supply, transmission signal path width?
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2012, 5:22pm

Find the resistance and inductance values for the paths involved and do the math or run a simulation.

You are an engineer, start doing some engineering!
:)

Also, just because the design rules max at a size does not stop you from putting multiple paths in parallel to reduce the impedance.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2012, 5:59pm

If you want to design at such high current, you normally need at least one thick metal layer (2-3 um thick), and copper helps, but I'm not sure if your 0.18um process offers it. Also, you should make sure you get the right design rules from your foundry because 4um doesn't seem very wide. You can also try and get the electrical specifications from your foundry as 1mA/um is pretty low too. In fact it sounds like you are talking about a thin metal. As loose-electron says, you can always run the lines in parallel, but if you only have thin (~0.5um) aluminium to work with you are gonna have a tough time.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vivarf
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2012, 5:57am

The thing is, transistor is quite small, even if you have multiple parallel transmit lines, you have bottle-neck at the transistor. And for inductor load, I believe you can make only one path.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:35pm

I think a transistor driving 100 mA would not be that small, and since the size scales with the current, I doubt it would be a bottle neck. For the output, you can have a slotted inductor, or you could even try power combining.

BTW, the peak AC current handling capability is always higher than the DC current handling capability. I believe this may be more true at RF. There are papers on this.

There are also many papers on CMOS PAs with over 30 dBm of output power (GSM PAs). Why don't you have a look at the layouts.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vivarf
Community Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2012, 6:12am

Thanks Aaron. I guess the reported PA layout is alright interm of current handling capacity, it was just my doubt since I did not find in literature reports.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.