The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 9:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which BJT (pnp/npn) is better to use in a BGR? (Read 5797 times)
yvkrishna

which BJT (pnp/npn) is better to use in a BGR?
Aug 14th, 2012, 8:54am

Hi,

Given a choice to use both npn/pnp bjts  in a cmos process which one is better to use in Bandgap reference design? Assume both of them have same beta (current gain=ic/ib)

As already known having poor beta causes additional voltage drop in base resistance which could finally limit the accuracy of bandgap.  Is it just enough to pick the one which has higher beta?

Area there any other tradeoffs related to inherent curvature of VBE, area, speed etc?

Or are there any better topologies in which only one of them could be employed?

Thanks,
yvkrishna

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012, 10:21am by yvkrishna »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: which BJT (pnp/npn) is better to use in a BGR?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2012, 1:01pm

the collector tied PNP is commonly used.

I have used PN junctions and gotten good results if the models are properly defined.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2013, 10:06am

Speed may be an issue in that slower devices may be harder to stabilise in a feedback loop. In a CMOS process I would expect that the npn will be much faster than any pnp. Often the pnp is not a real one. The best bandgaps use bipolars as transistors, not merely as diodes, and use both types throughout. A key issue when Mosfets are used, is the difficulty in trimming to a universal “magic” voltage. If all bipolars are used, all offsets are tuneable  ptats. That is, if the bg is trimed to the magic voltage, it will have the correct square shape temperature curve, irrespective of individual errors. This is important as it allows the band gap to be set with one trim at, say, 27 deg. Unless all Mosfets are relatively, absolutely huge, say 200u/40u, a trim to what should be a magic voltage won’t be. In which case production trimming becomes a nightmare.

Kevin Aylward
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2013, 9:18am

yvkrishna,

If you are using a CMOS process, substrate PNP's are usually available without adding much if any cost to the mask set.  Of course the limitation is that the collector terminal of the transistor must be tied to the substrate.  Lower beta, slower speed etc. are also inherent with substrate pnp's but you should still be able to make a reasonable bandgap reference circuit.  I expect adding NPN transistors in a CMOS process will cost you $$ because of added mask layers.  If I were using a BiCMOS process I would certainly choose NPN transistors.

I would recommend the Gray/Meyer text book as a basic reference, but several books have bandgap reference circuits in CMOS processes.  I have used Brokaw cells and PTAT generators when NPN's are available.

Hope this helps.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:56pm

this was asked over a year ago...

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.