The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does frequency multiplication influence reference spurs in synthesizer (Read 3274 times)
BackerShu
Community Member

How does frequency multiplication influence reference spurs in synthesizer
Sep 03rd, 2012, 10:41pm

Hi all,

Have some confusions about how frequency multiplication influences the sideband level in synthesizer mentioned in the following book:
[1] Stanley Goldman, Phase-Locked Loop Engineering Handbook for Integrated Circuits. 2007, pp. 131
The particular paragraph is in the attachment.

As stated,  "frequency multiplying a 100-MHz signal, with 40-dBc side-bands at a 10-MHz offset from the carrier, by 10 produces a 1-GHz signal with 20-dB sidebands."

First of all, the author didn't mention how the multiplication is done. I also don't know how to do this in synthesizer. Please enlight.

Assume  a 900MHz or 1100MHz sine signal is used to upconvert, I don't think this will be the case in synthesizer, the carrier frequency to 1GHz. It's true that the original sideband will also get upconverted, but why and how it grows from 40dBc to 20dBc?

Thanks.

Spur.jpg
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: How does frequency multiplication influence reference spurs in synthesizer
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012, 3:28am

First, it isn't a good idea to copy and paste copyrighted material. Quoting and citing the source is fine and appropriate, but cutting and pasting typeset manuscript might fall into the category of "using without permission." Perhaps I am being too picky.

Ok, now on to your question.
The PLL is being used as a frequency multiplier by having a 100MHz reference to a phase/frequency detector to control a 1GHz VCO. The input is 100MHz and the output is 1GHz when you use an integer divider of N=10 to divide the 1GHz signal down to 100MHz to compare it to the reference input.

To understand the 10MHz sideband problem, think about what the condition of the PLL is when it is locked. When locked the output of the phase frequency detector should be zero (ideally). That means that the reference input and the divided VCO signal should be exactly the same at the inputs to the phase/frequency detector.

The 100MHz reference has 10MHz sidebands at -40dBc, so the divided output of the VCO must also have -40dBc sidebands at 100MHz. For this to be true, the output of the VCO must have sidebands that are N times higher than the spurs on the reference.

The same thing happens with noise that is on the reference. It gets multiplied up and dominates the closed loop noise close into the PLL output frequency. Outside the loop bandwidth the VCO no longer tracks the reference noise, so the VCO phase noise dominates at some offset.

So, if the 10MHz sideband was outside the closed loop bandwidth the -20dBc sidebands would roll off with the loop response.

Hope this is clear.

View Profile   IP Logged
BackerShu
Community Member

Re: How does frequency multiplication influence reference spurs in synthesizer
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2012, 10:13am

Thanks RFICDUDE,

I guess I missed the point that the synthesizer itself is the multiplier mentioned in the text.

BTW, the point about how to use copyrighted material is taken. Thanks for reminder.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.