The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:27pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
IM3 sim vs. lab (Read 11334 times)
kelly
Community Member

Re: IM3 sim vs. lab
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2012, 9:12am

Hi RFICDUDE,

Do you mind giving me a ball park number for the situation you are describing?  
In the case where PSP yeilds better correlation, is the sim still better the lab?  By how much > or < than 3 or 5dB?
In the case where measurements are better than the lab, is the differernce around 5dB or more?  Are you surprise by the fact that lab is better than the sim or  the differernce ?
Also, when you said the bsim doesn't correlate well, did you just judge that by looking at the discrepancy between sim and lab (I assume the sim is a lot better than the lab)?  was the discrepancy mucher larger than 5 or 10dB?

If any of this is sensitive information, just let me know.  I just try to get a sense on what kind of the correlation I can expect for a up convert passive mixer design.

(I also have a down convrt passive mixer, the discrepancy was not that bad even though bsim was used.  But I think that's probabily because mixer was not the dominant source in that line up since I couldn't measure mixer by itself).

Thanks very much for your help.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2012, 5:35am

Aaron,
I could see where front-end switches could have issues in what should be an "off" state (thanks).

Kelly,
No I really don't have hard numbers for the discrepancy.
Moreover, my discrepancy may have no correlation to yours (different models, different circuits, etc.).

The only way to really understand if there is a modeling issue is to have test structures in silicon where you can specifically measure the linearity of the device and compare it the models for the exact set of conditions.

Most of the time there is no time to perform such a correlation exercise, so if there are discrepancies then one has to rely on making relative changes to correct the offset (if the offset causes worse than expected performance).

View Profile   IP Logged
kelly
Community Member

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2012, 9:16am

Hi RFICDUDE,

yes, understood, thanks very much.
Kelly

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.