The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 3:18am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Idea of using current mode BGR to avoid v2i design (Read 15875 times)
yvkrishna

Re: Idea of using current mode BGR to avoid v2i design
Reply #15 - Nov 01st, 2012, 12:25pm

BOE,

PSRR and matching of M0/M1 is present in both the cases 1,2.

what is your intention?

thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 2:17pm

yvkrishna,

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote that.

I was trying to make the points that
1) you should look at the PSRR of that circuit (might be worse than conventional BGR [depending on opamp]),
2) the current matching in M0/M1 is critical to the performance of the BGR, and
3) at the same current, current noise of M0/M1 is larger than current noise in resistors of conventional BGR.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2012, 10:26am

yvkrishna wrote on Oct 16th, 2012, 2:55am:
Hi BOE,
We can always calculate the modified condition for achieving zero temp coeff in the presence of finite TC for resistors.

my observation so far is that the impact of resistor TC is not so much(ofcourse it depends on process one uses) for achieving ZTC current.

What else is the limitation?

Thanks,
yvkrishna

yvkrishna,
I've done this many time and it works fine. Like you figured out, you have to account for the TC of the resistor, but this is true even if you use a voltage to generate the current (your voltage TC has to be the same as the resistor TC.

The first consideration is that it is difficult to trim the TC with a single measurement. If you were doing a voltage-mode reference you can room temperature trim to a "magic" voltage that will give you zero TC for all errors except opamp offset. After that you would trim out the error due to the sheet resistance in your V to I circuit.

The second consideration is that with a current reference you would be trimming the magnitude and TC of the current simultaneously. While you can measure the current directly and trim it to spec, the resulting temp co will depend on how much of the error is due to sheet resistance variation or opamp offset, mismatch and bipolar IS variation. One way to get around this problem with the circuit you showed is first trimming the voltage across R20 (e.g. by varying the ratio of M1 and M0) to the "magic" voltage, and then trimming the output current by sizing M22.

Hint - when trimming don't actually change M0/M1/M22 sizes, but instead put a current dac in parallel with them that is biased with a smaller current scaled from the main current.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2012, 10:02pm

RobG,
Thanks for sharing your experience with this kind of circuit.
Is there any other design challenge with this architecture while trying to generate both voltage an current with decent accuracy.

thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2012, 11:03pm

Take care that you have adequate trim range both ways(ctat slope as well as ptat slope,both abs trim as well as tempco trim).Bandgaps look great in simulation,but model inaccuracies can  make it tough.Also take care to have metal options in case you need to fib and do some testing before you decide to fix a problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2013, 10:34am

Hi RobG,

I am a bit confused with your suggestions about trims.

"First trim the voltage across R20 by varying ratio of M1&M0"  how will this work ?

Also trimming the current using a small current dac in parallel has a limitation on how small the trim step is ?

ex: how can I get 0.5% trim in currents ? (which is a big ratio for current mirror). I have asked for 0.5% trim because I need the same step size in voltages which I generate.

Thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2013, 6:53am

Yes, it is perfectly feasible to generate a temperature independent current without and bandgap voltage appearing anywhere in the circuit, despite some of the claims in this thread. But why would this need to be done? All real systems need a reference voltage, so might as well use it! On a technical side, there are techniques in BG design for getting very low noise, that would probable not be mimicable in current mode. Regarding TC, 1st order TC of the resister is not important as it can be taken up in the wash when setting the current cancelling TCs. There is actually a simulation example for the current summing bandgap technique in SuperSpice.

Kevin Aylward
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.