The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Matching to Internal Antenna (Read 1532 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Matching to Internal Antenna
Oct 29th, 2012, 1:09am

Hi all,

I have checked that for a mobile phone internal antenna, a reasonably good VSWR seems to be around 3:1. Since the PA is normally designed to drive a 50-ohm load, does this mean that most handsets these days feature a broadband match between the cellular switch and the antenna? If so, how is it normally implemented? LC matching?

From what I've been reading, the antenna's performance is very sensitive to its surrounding environment, so it seems that the manufacturers need to first develop the floor plan for the RF front end and then design the matching based on the best performance. Does that sound right?

thanks,
Aaron

BTW, I realize I probably shouldn't be using the word matching since it isn't really impedance matching...

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012, 6:52am by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Matching to Internal Antenna
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2012, 9:33pm

There is usually an LC network between the antenna and the RF PA.

Also the polar plots for the antenna need to be re-run in the phone environment because component placement in the phone does affect the radiation patterns.

There are many vendors of ceramic and (and other) substrate based antennas out there.
Take a look at their application notes for ideas on LC networks to the PA.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.