The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:23am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
stb and ac analysis do not match? (Read 3530 times)
xianweng

stb and ac analysis do not match?
Nov 07th, 2012, 5:28am

Hi,Guys,I have some problem to understand why stb and ac do not match.When I run stb analyis in a loop,the phase starts from -180 and it increses to a positive value and gain curve is normal! When  I run ac analysis ,it seems like that phase and gain curve are normal  .Could someone tell me which one  simulation  is right?

Thanks any help in advacne

QQ251302227020121107212633.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: stb and ac analysis do not match?
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2012, 6:13am

I don't see how do you break the loop in the AC case. It seems to me that you forces one node to VAC=1, but I don't see at which point do you check the result.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2012, 7:17am

Besides the fact that your drawing is very hard to read (what is the part at the right side from C=1F ?), I assume that your ac analysis is run open loop, correct? In this case, the result shows that the dc feedback is positive (phase zero for s=0). A circuit with positive dc feedback cannot work because of an unstable bias point. Thus, something is wrong.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2012, 2:00pm

A couple comments.

First, I would expect STB and AC to be different by definition - the nature of their injections.  
Research Michael Tian's paper (with Ken Kundert), Middlebrook, Paul Hurst, etc.

Second, I have seen cases where the DC starting point of phase with STB seems "off" by 180deg, and you basically look at the change in Phase.    -- with Integrators in particular.
I've never seen a full explanation of this.

Wink
Wave

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:18am

Xianweng, in your circuit diagrams the signal source is shown.
Question: Are you aware that it must be switched-off (Vin=0) during loop gain analysis?
As already mentioned, at dc you need negative feedback (phase=-180 deg).
But also the results of STB analysis are weird. The gain drops with rising frequency - and the phase function rises?
This is NOT correct.
Thus: Check the bias point for normal operation and don`t forget to ground the opamp input during open-loop analysis.

wave wrote on Nov 7th, 2012, 2:00pm:
First, I would expect STB and AC to be different by definition - the nature of their injections.  

No, I don`t think so. As far as I know, the only difference is that the STB analysis also includes bi-directional signal travelling.
Thus, both should give identical results for uni-directional applications (as in our case).

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:24am

No, they are not the same. The AC analysis approach you describe does not give accurate results and should never be used.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2012, 6:14am

Second, I have seen cases where the DC starting point of phase with STB seems "off" by 180deg, and you basically look at the change in Phase.    -- with Integrators in particular.
I've never seen a full explanation of this.

Wink
Wave

You might want to take a look at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1294178255 (and maybe http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1124688329).

xianweng

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2012, 6:16am

Horror Vacui wrote on Nov 7th, 2012, 6:13am:
I don't see how do you break the loop in the AC case. It seems to me that you forces one node to VAC=1, but I don't see at which point do you check the result.

The right half is ac analysis
1.I break the loop with a big resistor(100G) and a big capacitor(1F)
2.I check the reulst at point A

View Profile   IP Logged
xianweng

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2012, 6:20am

buddypoor wrote on Nov 7th, 2012, 7:17am:
Besides the fact that your drawing is very hard to read (what is the part at the right side from C=1F ?), I assume that your ac analysis is run open loop, correct? In this case, the result shows that the dc feedback is positive (phase zero for s=0). A circuit with positive dc feedback cannot work because of an unstable bias point. Thus, something is wrong.

1.the right side capacitor is 1F
2.the right side mos is pmos ,so it is negative feedback

View Profile   IP Logged
xianweng

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2012, 6:32am

buddypoor wrote on Nov 8th, 2012, 12:18am:
Xianweng, in your circuit diagrams the signal source is shown.
Question: Are you aware that it must be switched-off (Vin=0) during loop gain analysis?
As already mentioned, at dc you need negative feedback (phase=-180 deg).
But also the results of STB analysis are weird. The gain drops with rising frequency - and the phase function rises?
This is NOT correct.
Thus: Check the bias point for normal operation and don`t forget to ground the opamp input during open-loop analysis.

No, I don`t think so. As far as I know, the only difference is that the STB analysis also includes bi-directional signal travelling.
Thus, both should give identical results for uni-directional applications (as in our case).

1.Vin is not zero ,as I drawed ,it is constant DC voltage ,1.86,to provide bias
2.yes ,the results of STB analysis are weird. The gain drops with rising frequency  and the phase function rises
3.the bias point is normal.I do stb and dc analysis simultaneous,the dc result show that the positive input of op and the negative input of op are equal .It means bias point is normal

View Profile   IP Logged
xianweng

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2012, 6:42am

Ken Kundert wrote on Nov 8th, 2012, 12:24am:
No, they are not the same. The AC analysis approach you describe does not give accurate results and should never be used.

-Ken

I know the AC analysis approach does not give accurate reults ,but it could not give a wrong answer. And stb is more accurate.The ac analysis approach I used is describe in the book:designing_analog_chips.I attached the picture that the book used

QQ251302227020121107212633_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2012, 7:29am

Ken Kundert wrote on Nov 8th, 2012, 12:24am:
-Ken

Hi Ken,

I am not quite sure to whom your reply is adressed and which ac analysis you are referring to.
Nevertheless, since more than 20 years I have used such an ac analysis approach (the correct one, not the L-C method !) without any problems - knowing that bi-directional signal movement is not covered.
Therefore, some problems on my side regarding your statement "should never be used".
I would rather say: Should be used only if the application allows its use (uni-directional propagation, restauration of dc bias point and loading).

I kindly ask you to comment on this.
Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2012, 7:32am

xianweng wrote on Nov 8th, 2012, 6:16am:
1.I break the loop with a big resistor(100G) and a big capacitor(1F)

This resistor does not enable a correct operating point. Instead you must use a big inductor allowing dc feedback.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2012, 9:23pm

Buddypoor,
    I don't know what you are referring to when you say "the correct one". Does it involve 1F capacitors?

-Ken

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2012, 1:20am

Ken Kundert wrote on Nov 8th, 2012, 9:23pm:
Buddypoor,
    I don't know what you are referring to when you say "the correct one". Does it involve 1F capacitors?
-Ken

OK agreed, I should have been more specific.
As mentioned somewhat later in my former posting - I consider a loop gain simulation as "correct" under the following pre-conditions:
*restauration of the correct dc bias point
*proper loading at the breakpoint (assuming uni-directional signal propagation).

I think, these conditions are fulfilled by Middlebrook´s double-injection technique.
However, for many opamp applications I have learned that an opening at the opamp output and injection of a series ac signal (without correction using a current source in an second step) gives results, which are exact enough.

Let me define "exact enough":
Knowing that

* each amplifier simulation model never can reflect real conditions
* in reality each passive part has tolerances
* each hardware realization suffers from parasitic influences

I think, the procedure to find the loop gain for a circuit with feedback may allow for a small systematic error - if this error remains within the limits set by the aforementioned uncertainties (other error sources).
As an engineer I follow the rule: A design as well as a measurement procedure must not be as exact as possible but as exact as necessary
(but I know that in some cases it is not easy to specify what really is "necessary").  

I hope now you understand why I ask for justification of your statement "ac analysis approach ...should never be used".
Thank you and regards.
B.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.