The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 28th, 2024, 3:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MAx decap value (Read 3017 times)
summi
Community Member

MAx decap value
Dec 11th, 2012, 3:02am

Dear forum,
Can any one tell me how to How deside decap for chip, i know it is very difficult to predict, but how to come up with a rough number. Recently i have joined IC design job, there i have seen people are filling all gaps with decaps while taping out the chip. So i like to know what limit the max value of the cap.

Br,
Summi.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: MAx decap value
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2012, 4:24pm

It depends on many factors, some time(many times) decap helps to reduce the impact of switching noise. May be resonance frequency(which is larger than signal frequency) between bond wire inductance and decap  will place the upper limit. For flip chip there is no this kind of limit.

Some experienced people will find dynamic power of the chip and estimate Ceffective from Cv^2f formula.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2013, 6:51pm

Inside the chip capacitinace should be sufficient for power decoupling at frequencies where interconnect inductance to the outside world does not allow you to do it with external capacitors.

Go figure out the inductance of your leadframe and bond wires.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2013, 11:11pm

Answer is simple:
As no one design the die size based on Decap values needed + the Decap are needed to reject any ripple on supplies, the value of Decap needed is:
As much as you can where ever you can. But note to have also Taps to GND as they are improtant also.
Later you can simulate Fullchip with package model and see effect just note that PCB trace most of the time have higher inductance as minimum lenght of pcb trace is ~2mm which is ~2nH-5nH.

Erez Sarig

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.