The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
varactor in lc vco (Read 858 times)
mixed_signal

varactor in lc vco
Dec 26th, 2012, 5:30pm

Hi,
a) I am designing a LC vco and using the varactor shown in fig. 1 where C is mim cap and C2 is diode varactor in IBM130nm
Resistor sets the node V1 near 0V.
b) I want tuning range from 786Mhzz to 800Mhz which requires C to change from 1394f to 1342f i.e. delta_C=52f

My doubts:
1. How C1 and C2 and Resistor should be chosen/ratio? I know  C1 should be very large.

2. I want to check the standalone equivalent capacitance through simulation using AC 1V, freq=1/2pi,sweeping DC volt across varactor (Method by Ken Kundert) .The varactor alone works fine.

3. But the cap of combination is not C1 series C2 . Instead in Fig.2 it is C1 and in Fig. 3 it is C2. The node V1 seems to be an AC ground thereby preventing series combination of C1 and C2.
My question is how this circuit works?  Am I doing mistakr by simulating this way?

varactor.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: varactor in lc vco
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2012, 9:52pm

Hello,
Very interesting Question.
This ckt contains 4 ports, V+,V-,Vctl, biasing terminal (gnd terminal of R), you have to find cap between two ports instead of that  you have shorted 2 ports always (in fig2 V+ and bias,fig3 Vctl and bias) and calculated cap between other terminal and shorted terminals.
You have to find capacitance between V+ and V-, so please add a 1V ac source between those and find cap.
or V+ and control node also fine.

Thanks,
Raj.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2012, 7:11am

Strange. I agree with raja that you should measure the differential capacitance. But you should get ok values even in the test you have done. You state that you are using "freq=1/2pi". What are you meaning by that? freq=0.159?

For "normal" design the resistor value should be higher than your equivalent parallel resistor from your tank. Otherwise if will degrade your Q. Usually the C1 is chosen much higher than C2. But if you have a very small tuning range you can relax this and then not be able to tune so much.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2012, 10:00am

Hello Mixed_signal,

As rfidea pointed, You are finding capacitance at very low frequency (0.159HZ), where c1 impedance is not very low compared to R1, that's why you are getting strange result but if you calculate the same cap at frequency>1/(2*PI*RC) you should get same cap.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2012, 2:11pm

Hi raja.cedt & rfidea,

All my circuits are correct.
The 1/2pi term is to get rid of division by 2pi for freq in Hz
I did a mistake by choosing extremely small frequency (1/2pi) at which capacitive impedance is very large compared to resistive. The problem is solved at high frequency.

Thanks both of you!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.