The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting up to speed in RF (Read 3092 times)
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Getting up to speed in RF
Dec 30th, 2012, 11:56am

I just changed career paths from principal mixed signal designer to RF applications engineer.

Can the experts in this forum provide good references for coming up to speed on the basics of:
- RF architectures and design specs and parameters
- PCB design including RF and analog
- antennas and matching networks
- zigbee and 802.15.4 "for dummies", or something easier to dive into than the standards

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Getting up to speed in RF
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2012, 6:28pm

Interesting career change!

A few books that come to mind are

- RF Microelectronics, Behzad Razavi, Prentice Hall. There is a new 2nd edition which I assume is better or more comprehensive than the first edition.

- RF Circuit Design, Chris Bowick, Newnes/Elsevier 2008. This is a good primer introduction to RF concepts including matching networks, Smith chart and LC filters.

- RF System Design of Transceivers for Wireless Communications,  Qizheng Gu, Springer. Decent RF transceiver system design walk through for superhet and direct conversion WCDMA FDD systems.

I'm sure there are some references for Zigbee, but I don't know what they are off hand.

PCB design is mostly about signal integrity, controlled impedance lines, EM coupling, and supply decoupling. I don't know of a good reference that addresses all the issues. The amount of design and modeling effort depends a lot on the system specs. Tight RF or HF I/O performance specs or high isolation requirements can demand a lot of detailed EM modeling and verification.

Modeling/measurement of external components used for matching and decoupling networks can demand a lot of attention too.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2013, 5:21am

Thanks for the tips!  I actually purchased a couple of the suggested titles. I can't wait to dig in!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2013, 3:25pm

RFICDUDE wrote on Dec 30th, 2012, 6:28pm:
Interesting career change!

A few books that come to mind are

- RF Microelectronics, Behzad Razavi, Prentice Hall. There is a new 2nd edition which I assume is better or more comprehensive than the first edition.

- RF Circuit Design, Chris Bowick, Newnes/Elsevier 2008. This is a good primer introduction to RF concepts including matching networks, Smith chart and LC filters.

- RF System Design of Transceivers for Wireless Communications,  Qizheng Gu, Springer. Decent RF transceiver system design walk through for superhet and direct conversion WCDMA FDD systems.

I'm sure there are some references for Zigbee, but I don't know what they are off hand.

PCB design is mostly about signal integrity, controlled impedance lines, EM coupling, and supply decoupling. I don't know of a good reference that addresses all the issues. The amount of design and modeling effort depends a lot on the system specs. Tight RF or HF I/O performance specs or high isolation requirements can demand a lot of detailed EM modeling and verification.

Modeling/measurement of external components used for matching and decoupling networks can demand a lot of attention too.

Modelling and simulation at the board level?

Not so much as at the chip level in my opinion.

When I am designing a chip I live on a simulator.
When I design a PCB I will do hand calculation estimates of critical things and then go build it.
If its not perfect, PCB respin is small money and more cost-time effective.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.