The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Effect of varying capacitor in LC VCO (Read 9167 times)
Virvasav

Kolkata, India
Effect of varying capacitor in LC VCO
Jan 02nd, 2013, 9:27pm

Hi,
While designing a LC VCO with MOS cap as varactor, I face the problem in top level of PLL. As capacitor is varying with the voltage difference between two nodes, so, the output is asymmetrical and it affects the variation in input node of VCO, i.e., control voltage. These varaition in control voltage creates a problem of jitter at the top level of PLL. Please give me the solution, how to deal with this problem ????

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Effect of varying capacitor in LC VCO
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 1:38am

Hello,
can you describe the Question clearly??? Why you didn't catch VCO problem at that level?? If i understood correctly, you are facing problem with variable capacitance not only with dc but also with swing. This is a minor effect. Please show me the plot.

AGAin i didn't understand how swing is effecting your input (what is input for vco, control voltage?)

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Virvasav

Kolkata, India
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 1:54am

Hi raj,
Thanks for the reply.
I have designed a wide range LC VCO, but when I am using this VCO in the PLL loop, my control voltage gets coupled with the output. This coupling causes jitter at the output.
If question is not understood, the I will attach the waveforms of the output and schematic.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 2:24am

yes..please attach.

I understood man, but it will at 2nd harmonic. but why you went to top level you could have catch this problem at vco level and finally this will give spurs at 2nd harmonic of the carrier frequency not jitter.

Virvasav

Kolkata, India
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 3:12am

Hi raj,

I am attaching schematic (architecture) of LC VCO, the output of PLL (outp & outn), also the tuning voltage(vtune). Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 5:00am

hello,
Read this pap, you will understand.

Frequency Dependence on Bias Current in 5-GHz
CMOS VCOs: Impact on Tuning Range and
Flicker Noise Upconversion

Basically vco two nodes fundamental harmonics  are out of phase and 2nd harmonic are in phase. This 2nd harmonic will coupled to control voltage, hence spurs but this spurs will be filters since they very far from loop BW.

What i didn't understand is how did your jitter impacted by this problem. Take FFT of the control voltage and see how below  the 2nd harmonic from the ref frequency.

Thanks,
Raj.

Virvasav

Kolkata, India
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 8:49pm

Thanks, I think it will help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Virvasav

Kolkata, India
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2013, 11:25pm

Hi,

You are talking about jitter. Is this a random jitter or deterministic. However, when control voltage changes it cause deterministic jitter at the output.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.