The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dual resonance frequency tank (Read 2446 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
dual resonance frequency tank
Jan 11th, 2013, 6:19am

Hello,
I have strange application where i need a vco without any tuning range @ 60Ghz. I designed tank inductor which is fine at 60G from Q point of view, but it's self resonance frequency is around 90G unfortunately capacitor (not mos-cap, inter-digitized metal cap) is also having self resonance frequency near to this and hence around 104G inductor is behaving like cap and cap is like ind. So finally i have two frequencies.

So now my Question is when i am designing VCO, what kind of care should to make sure that it wont oscillate at 104G. I know transistor may not work at that frequency but i am interested to know more theory behind it like when you have two frequencies and in both cases if there enough gain then where oscillator locks stuff like that.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: dual resonance frequency tank
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2013, 12:07pm

raja,

You will want to separate the resonance of the capacitor by increasing the resonance frequency.  To increase the resonance frequency of the cap you could make the interdigitated cap fingers shorter and add more in parallel to return to the same cap value.  

In general the oscillator will resonate at a frequency where the gain is the highest.  Gain will be construed as the gm*Re(Z(tank)).  I am not sure which frequency will be the oscillation frequency if they two frequencies have roughly equal gain, possibly some intermediate one.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2013, 2:45pm

hello,
yes i did it, now tanks looks fine. But can you tel me clearly why it oscillates at frequency where it has higher loop gain?

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2013, 4:40pm

Raja,

Consider two WEAKLY coupled tanks one resonant tank1 at freq1 and one tank2 resonant at freq2.  Now consider the Q of the tank1 to be greater than tank2.  Apply a step response  and observe the voltage waveforms after a length of time. the tank with the higher Q will die down slower than the tank with the lower Q also note that the resonant frequency might be a combination at first, but later each tank will settle to a their own frequency separately.   (this is not to say that the final frequencies of both aren't altered by the weak coupling element).  

If you are with me so far...

Now consider this step response in reverse as energy is added to the tanks.  The tank with the higher Q will increase amplitude at a faster rate.  

Finally, the active part of the VCO will eventually become a limiter as the amplitude further increases.  Now that the VCO is a full limiter the selectivity of that tanks resonant frequency is reinforced since the additive  frequency of the weaker tank is only present on the through zero transitions (or when the limiter changes polarity).  The stronger resonance is further reinforced by the periodic energy additions from the limiting action and eventually very little energy is at the secondary resonance and thus a single resonance oscillation occurs for the most part.  

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.